Tw40f80 & Hdtv?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DanThomas, Jul 8, 2005.

1. DanThomas

DanThomas Agent

I have an older Toshiba TW40F80 tv. It's not hi-def, but it is widescreen and it has component video inputs. I use the component inputs with my DVD player and my PS2 and/or GameCube.

My question is, if I get hi-def cable, will I be able to use component outputs from the cable box to my TW40F80, and at least take advantage of the wide-screen display? Will the image down-convert, or will it even show anything?

The reason I ask is that I'm eventually going to get a new HDTV, but I'm not ready for that yet. But it would be nice to watch wide-screen programs, and I'm thinking that if the HD images down-convert correctly, they'd still be better than SD broadcasts.

What do you think?

-Dan

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Your cable box will need to do two things:

1. Have a choice of outputting HDTV shows as 480p (downrezzed). Refresh my memory, does the TW-40F80 accept progressive scan?

2. Output HDTV shows as anamorphic. Otherwise the picture will have just 360 scan lines in use.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. John S

John S Producer

I did a search of two. It does look like it takes 480p.

I see no reason it would not make an excellent display for HD down res'd to 480p, just as any of the ED Plasma's are doing these days.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

1998-1999 was the first year of HD sets that took a 480p signal. The Toshiba sets were the "H" generation.

Anything with a G or F designation is not even 480p capable from the input. The G series had a line doubler build in, but could not accept an external 480p source.

Regards

5. DanThomas

DanThomas Agent

Thanks for everyone's input. I bought a new TV. [​IMG]

I got a Sony 60 inch LCD rear projection. KDF-60WF655. Very nice! I was even able to fit the box in the back of my SUV. I had room for a box that's 44 3/4 inches wide, and the Sony's box is 44 1/4 inches. I wish I had taken a picture. "Like a glove!"

-Dan