What's new

TW Sci-Atl DVR box user interface. Can it be that bad? (1 Viewer)

bbarlow641

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Barlow
We recently upgraded our TV and cable interface from a ReplayTV to Time Warner's cable TV/DVR set top box. I can't believe how bad the user interface is, and yet I see few to no complaints. How can people accept a design that bad and not even mention it?

Some products that I use are so well designed, intuitive, and well built that I just feel good using them. My Porter Cable biscuit cutter, Apple TV, BMW Mini come to mind. On the other hand, there are some products that I use that actually make me angry. (Remember dBase II? That was the first time I noticed this "product anger".) Inconsistency, lack of reliability, poor service, just plain ugliness get me burning. Harbor Freight "precision" tools (an oxymoron if there ever was one), my wife's cell phone that refuses to use a ring tone that I haven't paid $4 for, and now my Sci-Atl Explorer DVR and its remote. Every time I use the TV/DVR now I can just feel my blood pressure going up. I need to vent to avoid explosion. BLAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! That thing sucks!

Thanks for listening. Wish I could say I felt better.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Ben, Welcome to Home Theater Forum. As a forum Replay TV user, I feel your pain. Most people don't compain because they haven't known better. I ditched my cable company DVR and am now using Windows Media Center. Its mutch better than my cable company DVR and cheaper as well (assuming you already have a windows PC).

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/wiki/ceton-wmc-hints-notes-and-suggestions

bbarlow641

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Barlow
Adam, you're right. The Replay TV was a lot better. For all the money TW gets, you'd think they would make (or spec, if they don't do it themselves) a better product. Since i'm a Mac user, the WMC wasn't an option. I'd looked into Mac-based solutions, and they seemed a little too "cobbled together" for me. But the more I use the setup I've got, the better it looks.
Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks