What's new

Tvshowsondvd.com question (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know if there is a way to look at the order of the most requested shows? I know that they list the top 10 on the frontpage and that if you request a show it shows you the number of votes and where it is ranked on the list. I'm curious because I see that Beverly Hills 90210 is currently at #22 and I was wondering what shows are ahead of it (besides the top 10). Any help of information would be great. Thanks alot!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Hey Brad,

We only list the top 10 shows for a variety of reasons, but mainly because of the database query that is going on. At one point I had another page that was loading more shows but the query was taking longer than it should. If I can find the time I'll look at optimizing the query, but for now it's just the top 10 shows.

Gord

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Gord,

We had similar issues, but what we opted to do was to have it run "on demand" by myself and generate a static html page. It's actually quite useful for a lot of pages with a database driven site, since the bulk of pages just don't get updated all that often.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Gord; Chris is right, better to cache the page (top X shows) than to continually re-run the query. simple to do as well; run the query for top X shows (say, once every week), save the generated HTML page, then post this HTML file on your site. it'll tide you over until you can optimise the query or come up with a better solution.

as an afterthought, you could run your query every X hours (as a scheduled task), store the results in a new table in the database and have your "top X" shows page get it's data from this new table. this way, no need for manual intervention. i'm just rambling now.

Gord,
Thanks for the explanation. Maybe there's a way to do a "biggest gainers" at the end/beginning of each month. Like the five or ten shows that moved up the chart or something. I love the site, thanks for all you do with it. Just something I personally would love to see. Thanks again.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm going to have to look at something for the query. There's so much traffic to the site (40+ gigs of text/graphics a month now!) that things are going a bit crazy on the server. I changed some stuff around on the weekend and it's running slightly faster now.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks