What's new

tvshowsondvd.com is down (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I got that same email, and at first I was surprised because I couldn't remember ever being on the site. Then I remembered that I may have posted in one of the forums once, but I can't remember what password I used so
I won't be able to change the password at sites where I've used the same one. :angry:

That's awful, not being able to remember that password!

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
That's awful, not being able to remember that password!
If they had let us know about the breach BEFORE they shut down, I could have figured out the password by attempting to sign in. It's probably not a big deal, but it still makes me a little uneasy.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've thought about this all weekend long and there is one thing that keeps popping into my head. What about the independent DVD labels? You know, Shout Factory, VEI, Time-Life (to a degree) and Warner Archive? This may sound simplistic, but TVshowsonDVD.com provided them with, I'm guessing, a free service. Let's face it, the big studios have pretty much given up on TV DVDs of older shows. If the show isn't a currently airing show, then they just don't seem to care. These smaller niche labels are the ones that have been releasing most of the older shows for some time now. TVshowsonDVD.com provided them with an invaluable way to reach their targeted audience for their releases. It was free publicity as far as I know. It just seems that labels like Shout Factory depended on the site more to get the word out about their releases then the big studios did. And now that outlet is gone. It's got to hurt future sales. For me, and I suppose several folks here, I didn't have to patrol Warner Archive, Shout Factory, Time-Life, VEI or the few other indie labels to keep up with the latest releases. It was all right there. Some desired or obscure title didn't escape being noticed and I was able to make my purchases on the release day (most of the time). This was important especially when the first season of an older show was released. Those were the sales figures that were most watched and would determine future seasons. Getting the word out just got a little bit more difficult. I don't see how these smaller labels are going to reach their desired markets any better than TVshowsonDVD.com. I also realize that this was probably not the biggest concern when reaching a decision to shut the site down. Like I said, older shows have a hard enough time and it looks like it just got more difficult. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm attaching too much importance to one web site. With physical media dying, perhaps this was inevitable. I do know that it's going to be hard not checking each day (well, Monday thru Friday anyway) for release news. Each time I sat down at my computer TVshowsonDVD was the first thing I did. Even before checking my email. That's gonna be a hard habit to break. My fingers are pretty much programed to type in the address the second my internet loads. ~sigh~ The time they are a changin.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I know how you guys feel. First Starlog magazine, now tvshowsondvd.com. It seems nobody appreciates high quality companies or service anymore. Things are moving faster, and the heart has gone out of our society.

We lost Circuit City, Toys R Us, Herbergers, Borders, etc. And I'm not sure we're better off with amazon. com absorbing everything and leaving maybe one retail firm out there to serve the physical needs of the product.

I do believe there is a market for unseen movies and television shows. But the interest in them has to be fostered.

James

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I've thought about this all weekend long and there is one thing that keeps popping into my head. What about the independent DVD labels? You know, Shout Factory, VEI, Time-Life (to a degree) and Warner Archive? This may sound simplistic, but TVshowsonDVD.com provided them with, I'm guessing, a free service. Let's face it, the big studios have pretty much given up on TV DVDs of older shows. If the show isn't a currently airing show, then they just don't seem to care. These smaller niche labels are the ones that have been releasing most of the older shows for some time now. TVshowsonDVD.com provided them with an invaluable way to reach their targeted audience for their releases. It was free publicity as far as I know. It just seems that labels like Shout Factory depended on the site more to get the word out about their releases then the big studios did. And now that outlet is gone. It's got to hurt future sales. For me, and I suppose several folks here, I didn't have to patrol Warner Archive, Shout Factory, Time-Life, VEI or the few other indie labels to keep up with the latest releases. It was all right there. Some desired or obscure title didn't escape being noticed and I was able to make my purchases on the release day (most of the time). This was important especially when the first season of an older show was released. Those were the sales figures that were most watched and would determine future seasons. Getting the word out just got a little bit more difficult. I don't see how these smaller labels are going to reach their desired markets any better than TVshowsonDVD.com. I also realize that this was probably not the biggest concern when reaching a decision to shut the site down. Like I said, older shows have a hard enough time and it looks like it just got more difficult. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm attaching too much importance to one web site. With physical media dying, perhaps this was inevitable. I do know that it's going to be hard not checking each day (well, Monday thru Friday anyway) for release news. Each time I sat down at my computer TVshowsonDVD was the first thing I did. Even before checking my email. That's gonna be a hard habit to break. My fingers are pretty much programed to type in the address the second my internet loads. ~sigh~ The time they are a changin.

Brian, great thoughts on why we are already missing tsod. I can certainly condition myself to start checking the Shout, WB and VEI websites more frequently, but there are other things that may still fall though the cracks. And half the fun of collecting old tv shows on dvd was the anticipation of a coming release, whether a stalled show (Gunsmoke season 13) or something I never thought would be released (The Immortal). I’ll never forget the day I brought up the tsod website and saw that huge clump of shows that VEI had licensed from CBS. Even though some took years to finally come out, it is fun to know they are coming. That will be harder without the work that Gord and Dave have done for us all these years.

Breaking the habit of checking the site is really gonna be hard for me also. It was a ritual every night after dinner to go down to the den, turn on the pc, and check tvshowsondvd.com before I did anything else. And as I hit enter, I’d hold my breath in anticipation of something that might be of interest to me. It was even fun to see announcements for classic shows I wasn't interested in, but that I knew others would be excited about. Just a great site that will be sorely missed.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
And half the fun of collecting old tv shows on dvd was the anticipation of a coming release, whether a stalled show (Gunsmoke season 13) or something I never thought would be released (The Immortal).

A great example of the former being my anticipation when it was revealed on Facebook that Shout! had taken up the mantle to keep going with Hart to Hart (not just the third season, but all of the rest of the series).

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Also when you had bought something in the TVSoD news pages these same news pages were usually the pace to inform you of a manufacturing fault before you had got to that disc(s) and then what the replacement programme was.

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
Also when you had bought something in the TVSoD news pages these same news pages were usually the pace to inform you of a manufacturing fault before you had got to that disc(s) and then what the replacement programme was.
Yes. This is the thing I'll miss the most about the site.

Had it not been for TSOD, we probably never would've been aware about the corrected season 4 set of "Family Matters" and a few other sets.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

As with the then-controversial second-season, first-volume release of The Fugitive (Heyes synthesizer music overwriting Rugolo's classics, IIRC).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Smaller studios will definitely suffer without the presence of The site. Might even be the nail in the coffin for some.

Was there a "donation" feature on tvshowsondvd.com? Something to help pay for maintenance, and protection from the hacker BS?

I would even pay a monthly fee to have it back honestly, that is how much I miss it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Truth! If they can't hawk their wares anywhere, how can they sell them?

Most likely through word of mouth, through us loudmouths on here and other places (ie. twitter, etc ...) talking about it.

As a tangential example, such as the folks who keep up on former flipper discs sets being re-released as single-sided discs. This is not the type of "news" which would get widespread coverage.;)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For that matter, tvshowsondvd didn't even cover most of the former Universal/Warner flipper sets, which were re-released as single-side discs many years later. It was primarily us on here which compiled and paid attention to such single-sided discs re-releases. (Probably also some folks doing reviews on amazon).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
For that matter, tvshowsondvd didn't even cover most of the former Universal/Warner flipper sets, which were re-released as single-side discs many years later. It was primarily us on here which compiled and paid attention to such single-sided discs re-releases. (Probably also some folks doing reviews on amazon).

And IIRC, many of the negative reviews were about the doubles in the original releases.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm still waiting on a single-sided DVD set of "The Addams Family"!

My speculation is we'll probably only ever see The Addams Family re-released as single-sided discs, is if it is ever released on bluray through somebody like Kino-Lorber. Like what was done for other MGM shows such as the original Outer Limits, Pink Panther cartoons, etc ...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Smaller studios will definitely suffer without the presence of The site. Might even be the nail in the coffin for some.

Was there a "donation" feature on tvshowsondvd.com? Something to help pay for maintenance, and protection from the hacker BS?

I would even pay a monthly fee to have it back honestly, that is how much I miss it.

No, we never had a donation button. Some people would be fine donating money, but I think we'd get a lot of heat for having a donation button on a website owned by a large corporation.

I really worry about a lot of the niche websites. Advertising dollars are going to the large social media companies (who don't produce content), and not to the people who produce it. Commissions paid to sites and people have dropped a lot - at one time Amazon would pay 12% commission... now it's 4%. It's becoming increasingly difficult to make running a website work financially, unless you're one of the largest of the large content-producing sits that gets a lot of large marketing deals.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

We tried to cover them all, but we really relied on fans to let us know that they were coming out. Stuff like that, the repackaging of sets, skips the usual "marketing/PR" push, so it was harder for us to keep track of.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks