TVs for DVD viewing only

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkJH, Dec 12, 2001.

1. MarkJH

MarkJH Extra

Well, the woman nagged me into going digital. She was suffering from severe sibling envy, her brother has a Pioneer Elite DV-37 paired with a Sony VPL-VW10HT projector. Of course going over to their place to watch a movie was, well, very movie theater-like.

Anyway, we looked at the offerings at Video Only and Circuit City, and I am hung up on something. Sure, the bigscreen 4:3 and 16:9 HDTVs look great, but they are not cheap. Better than they were, but still...

It is hard to get interested in an HDTV ready set when the offerings are so expensive, and the receivers alone are as much as a nice 27" tv. I am also learning that so many technical issues are still undecided, and HDTV reception is delivered over the air to antennas (a step backwards) from very few HDTV stations.

So I was wondering if I can buy a relatively cheap 32-36" tv that can handle progressive scan to get exceptional DVD viewing and avoid the whole HDTV thing altogether, and then re-assess in a couple more years.

OTOH, I own what was a leading edge 27" JVC when I bought it 9 years ago (almost flat screen, S-video inputs), has great picture etc. Would this do, at least until it dies? It is quite tough, it has been moved 4 times and still going strong.

Looking for input from others who have declined to go the HDTV route, while trying to get the best DVD viewing.

Thanks

Madkiwi

2. Francois Plouffe

If you want progressive scanning, to my knowledge, you can't avoid going for HDTV set. I had about the same requirements as you have when I shop for my new TV recently. Here in Canada, HDTV broadcasting is almost non-existant, so I was going for a regular NTSC flat screen TV. But, I wanted a TV that can handle the anamorphic DVD (16:9 mode). Also, I was realy attracted by the progressive scan. Unfortunately, regular NTSC don't do progressive scanning.

I was all setted to buy a Sony Wega 32Fv27 (I think only Sony have the 16:9 mode on non-HDTV set).

But at one store, I saw an Samsung 32" HDTV TSL3293 for the same price as the Sony. I didn't take long for me to switch my attention on the Samsung (16:9 mode, progressive scan, HDTV). I didn't feel the image quality was inferior to the Sony.

There is still something I don't get: why Samsung can offer a more advance product for the same price as a regular tv from Sony. It would usually mean that Samsung make inferior product, but their warranty is better than Sony, go figure.

It may be worth it to take a look, let yourself be the judge.

3. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

4. Jon_Mx

Jon_Mx Agent

If I were buying something for DVD viewing only, I would go with the Sanyo PLV60, a 16:9 format projector for about $4500. If you are on a tighter budget, than an NEC LT150 for about $2400. The NEC main drawback is that it is 4:3 format, fixed throw distance, and kinda of loud. Both will give you a better image than the brother's Sony VPL-VW10HT.

5. Tim Campbell

Tim Campbell Agent

Hey,

Am I weird? I personally think projectors stink. I would rather have a crt any day? Thoughts?

6. Miguel Paredes

Just my .02 cents here: you can get one of those non-HDTV widescreens they carry in europe. I think most have a switch for PAL/NTSC. But you cannot get progressive scan without an HDTV, AFAIK.

7. Jon_Mx

Jon_Mx Agent

8. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure if you go the projector route you can do 480p without HDTV; You'd need an 800x600 projector to do so. The NEC LT150s little brother, the LT85, does this.
    http://www.nectech.com/presentationp...?productid=238
    I know you could drive it with an HTPC, and probably a progressive scan player through an RGB to component cable.
    Here it is for sale:
    http://www.pcnation.com/asp/details.asp?item=766787
    The key here is whether you'd like to go the projector route, which involves a much larger picture for the price but with additional setup, or a CRT TV set that is easy to set up but expensive for the inches.