TV with only RF/Antenna input--any options?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Reckelhoff, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

My recently graduated sister (read: minimal cash flow[​IMG] ) has asked for help in improving her sound experience. She owns hundreds of videos and dvds, but watches them on a fairly old TV with no stereo inputs.
    Is there any hope for improving the system without replacing the TV? I could pick out a basic HTB system in her budget to connect to the dvd and vcr, but would it all be useless since the TV doesn't have any other inputs for the receiver?
    Replacing the TV, while providing obvious benefits, would seriously crimp her budget.
    Any thoughts?
    kevin

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Hey Kevin,

If sound is what she's concerned about, the TV shouldn't really matter as far as that's concerned. She can use the VCR to receive the stereo sound from the local channels or cable etc. She can plug it, the DVD and anything else into the HTIB you may find that fits her budget to here surround sound.

As for video portion with an old TV, I believe there are many RF modulators available at Best Buy etc that can convert the RCA video output of the receiver into the older RF input on the TV (correct me folks if I'm wrong).

Just my 2 cents worth.

Alfer

3. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

I agree. Get her a decent HTIB and connect the dvd and vcr to it. Don't need a rf modulator unless the a/v receiver has on screen display capabilities.

Scott

4. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I use one of those connecter thingies from Best Buy. It was the only way I could hook up the DVD player or the video out on my receiver to the tv I have in the basement. It causes some wierd, indescribable things to happen. My aim is to save up for a better tv. I know I can get one for 18 months, same as cash, but then I HAVE to come up with the money every month. Besides, I haven't decided on what kind of tv I want yet.

5. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the answers and suggestions!

Next question--

For the same price, would you recommend getting a HTIB, or a receiver + 2 mains?

Keep in mind that she's coming from a tv speaker, so either way will definitely be an upgrade. I don't think she's all that interested in joining the HT hobby, so the ability to upgrade is not worth much to her. She's also 99% movies/1% music, which leads me to believe she might enjoy surround (albeit from crappy speakers) more than stereo.

As always, thoughts greatly appreciated!

6. Wayne Clark

Wayne Clark Agent

Kevin, I'm not a real big HTiB fan but for the situation at hand that sounds like the best option I would think.

As you stated, your sister is probably not going to upgrade the system, so what you buy her will be what she uses for a long to come.

Stereo TV through a receiver and two mains can be difficult to hear. The back ground music can really over power the dialog. Even a cheap HTiB would allow for the increase of the center channel volume if this becomes a problem.
    Wayne