What's new

TV Westerns on DVD? (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone heard if Rawhide, Maverick, or Hec Ramsey are likely to come out on DVD any time soon? I would get commentaries or at least interviews with Clint Eastwood and James Garner* while they are still with us.

*For that matter, release Nichols and Rockford Files too.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
What about the biggest of all - "Gunsmoke"?? It would take up a whole lot shelf space at 20 seasons!

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
I would be more than happy to get a decent DVD of the following FANTASTIC TV Western

I Will Fight No More Forever (1975)
imdb - 7.4/10 (77 votes)

The last fight of the Nez Perce tribe with their leader Chief Joseph - truly awesome stuff !

Has anybody valuable info about the holder of the film rights and a possible DVD release ?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I would buy season sets of Maverick also.

My main wish would be the complete Roy Rogers show. That was a Saturday morning staple for me growing up and was great fun. There are a handful of episodes on PD DVDs, but season sets from authorized masters would be ideal.

For Gunsmoke fans, Encore Westerns is showing the uncut episodes daily, people with home recorders can make their own season sets pending an official release.

Steve

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The two western shows that I'd LOVE to have are Rawhide and Wagon Train. I know Paramount has the rights to Rawhide via their deal with CBS but I have no idea who has the rights to Wagon Train.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Columbia House has the old black and white Gunsmoke , and Have Gun will Travel on DVD. Course they are kinda expensive unless your serious about those shows.

JohnAP

Second Unit
The two-disc special edition of Unforgiven contains an episode of maverick called Duel at Sundown that guest starred Clint Eastwood. Not much, but something.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
The Big Valley is my most wanted tv show on DVD!! I'd never seen it before it started airing on Hallmark and have almost every episode on tape, but I'd love to have them uncut in box sets! I've been a big fan of movie westerns for years, but really hadn't ever seen any western tv shows up until about five years ago, so they're new to me. I swore I'd never go back to joining Columbia House, but I've started buying their Gunsmoke and Rawhide DVD's because I love them so much. They did lower the price on their DVD's from $24.95 each to $19.95, and if you order all of them at once they give you a 20% discount. I've found the picture/sound quality to be generally excellent and they start from the first episode and go in order, which the CH video tapes don't. Gunsmoke is six half-hour episodes per disc and Rawhide is 3 hour-long episodes per disc.I figure if the studios ever actually put any of these out in season sets I'll just sell them on ebay. Other tv westerns I'd buy are Cheyenne, Maverick, and Wagon Train. I have 2 DVD sets of The Rifleman from MPI Home Video which have 20 episodes each and hopefully there'll be more of those!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Another Option if you have Encore's Western channel is to tape Gunsmoke they show the Hour and half hour versions and I believe they are uncut. I've been getting the Green Hornet from them and transferring them to DVD from my Tivo. Quality is decent enough that I might not replace them even if a set is released.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed the short lived series "Magnificent Seven" than ran on CBS a few years ago. I have been making dvd copies from their Hallmark Channel airings.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I want to see How the west was won on dvd with James Arness & Bruce Broxleitner amongst others

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I would kill for Wanted: Dead or Alive on DVD. Young Steve McQueen getting beat up every week until he pulls out his sawed off Winchester and blasts a few guys. However improbable that weapon was (and it was really, really improbable), this was one of my favorites when I was a kid (in syndication of course, I'm not that old!).

Mark Tay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I'd love to see THE LONER (1965) on DVD. With only 26 half-hour episodes, it could make a nice 4 disc set.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I would like to see "Dead Man's Gun" that was on Showtime a couple of years ago. Any other fans out there???
Jim

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
10 disc set is very intriguing indeed yet hopefully should get more specs in the next couple of weeks

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the link Dave.

I am a bit skeptical on this. I know that the "Public Domain" labels have previously released various episodes of "Bonanza", "Roy Rogers Show", and various others over the years. My cynical guess is that all of these have been grouped and packaged into one big set.

However we could very well be surprised. Time will tell.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks