What's new

TV westerns list. (1 Viewer)

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
In this case, I don't mind public domain, such as Bonanza.

I might get Wagon Train.

I will get the official Gunsmoke and Wanted Dead or Alive.

I never did like the Rifleman.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
One of my all-timers is "The Big Valley". I can dream of a DVD relase but that's all it will be.

Another one was actually a miniseries. Anyone remember the 70's miniseries "How The West Was Won" with James Arness? There were a lot of other up-and-coming cast members in that one as well. Maybe that one has a better chance of getting released.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
The 1949 Lone Ranger.
I have a few of those on a public domain set.

The Big Valley is available on public domain.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I just hope they get through at least season four on "Have Gun Will Travel"....that one is my personal favorite.

Looking forward to the "Best of Gunsmoke" that TVShowsonDVD,com" reports that Paramount should release later this year.

I have purchased several of Columbia House's DVDs on the Wild Wild West.

Just bought season one of Wanted Dead or Alive....I am enjoying this series which I had not watched previously.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Tom, how does someone access "public domain"? Are these DVD's for sale? Is it only a few eps of this series or the entire set?

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely "The Lone Ranger!"

Also, I would love "How The West Was Won," both the miniseries and the series. What a huge crush I had on Bruce Boxleitner back then!

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I really like the fact that TV Land is showing all of these shows as part of the WB celebration, but if they really want them to do well, they need to get them on a channel somewhere in syndication so people can see how good they are so they want to buy them.

Paul

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Zorro is a western too.

I don't think there is too many public domain, Big Valley episodes on DVD. Ones that I have seen are western compilations that include Big Valley, actually I am thinking of Death Valley Days.
Is that the same thing?

I think Borax owns the rights to that series.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
There's only a handful of TV Westerns that I am interested in.

I've been buying the Cisco Kid sets from MPI as gifts. There are 4 volumes covering about half of the series' run. MPI told me there are not any more on the schedule but that could change.

I would absolutely love season sets of the Lone Ranger, even the John Hart episodes. All of these shows exist and looked pretty good when they ran on the Encore Westerns channel.

Likewise I would buy season sets of the Roy Rogers Show. Unfortunately that'll probably never happen. Roy's grandson told me the original masters were sold to a private individual back in the 70s and this person and/or his heirs haven't shown any inclination to do anything with it.

Maverick would also probably be bought by me as gifts. However, as reported earlier, Warners' plans for this series are a bit unclear at the moment with only a single disc best of being known about.

Steve

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, Jeff.

I was thinking of Death Valley Days. I see the Big Valley was another series.

Another to my list: Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok of 1951.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Taken from: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0049991/

"26 Men" (1957) [TV-Series*1957-1959]

This was a good, solid Western about the Arizona Rangers with Tris Coffin giving a fine performance every week. Worth seeing if it ever shows up somewhere. It also seemed to be a bridge between the kiddie Westerns (like Roy Rogers or Hopalong) and such adult fare as Have Gun Will Travel. 26 Men also had THE BEST THEME SONG OF ALL THE WESTERNS: "This is the story of 26 men who rode the Arizona territory. . . 26 men who lived to ride again rode out to answer duty's call; 26 men who lived to fight again rode out for the right and the liberty of all". With a great driving beat!

This one is on my list.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
There were only two seasons of, 26 Men, so the series could be done in one set.

54. Trail of Revenge
gs: DeForest Kelley (Ed Lacey) Leonard Nimoy (unknown)

Tom.W

Second Unit
Tom,

If you want to view 26 Men in a less than perfect video quality American One webcasts it on Wednesdays at 6pm and 4am EDT (late Wed.). You probably need a high speed connection and registration is required. If you've ever checked out video streaming, you know what to expect. But it may jog those memories.

Other westerns on A-1 include Last of the Mohicans,U.S. Marshal, Adventures of Kit Carson, Judge Roy Bean, Cisco Kid, and Range Rider.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
The westerns I want are mostly the B&W fifties westerns.

Mostly babyboomers and older would want them.
I think westerns were more popular back in the fifties, than reality shows are today.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe with the release of Gunsmoke and Wanted Dead or Alive, others will follow more quickly.

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
I literally grew up watching TV westerns in Germany throughout the sixties. As I said before in another thread, MAVERICK is my all-time favorite and I sincerely hope that WB is planning more than just a best-of disc. That said, I would definitely buy every single season of GUNSMOKE and BONANZA, even though it would mean quite an investment. Another show I very much enjoyed was LARAMIE. And I was even a big fan of PISTOLS'N'PETTICOATS! :D

HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL never made it over here, but I have lately become a fan of that one as well, having watched S1 on DVD and now getting started on S2! I just hope they'll keep on coming...

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
In 2004, Platinum Disc Corporation issued a number of 1950s Westerns that had episodes in the public domain. Here are some of the sets that I saw:

The Lone Ranger
The Cisco Kid
Annie Oakley
The Adventures of Jim Bowie
Stories of the Century (packaged under the title of "Legends of the Old West")
Shotgun Slade
U.S. Marshal
Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans

With the exception of U.S. Marshal (a modern Western), all of the above were sold in sets of two DVDs. Platinum released the entire run of "Stories of the Century." I don't know if it was an exclusive or not, but I haven't seen this released by anyone else. I've also seen a TV Westerns compilation from Platinum with miscellneous public domain episodes of shows like Bat Masterson, Sugarfoot, Wagon Train, and others.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

There are some episodes of the Roy Rogers Show that are in the public domain and available on DVD, though the prints are certainly not restored. Alpha Video has a four episode DVD, as does the hard-to-find Cascadia Entertainment, and I recall seeing a few episodes on a TV Westerns compilation from Diamond Entertainment. Based on the information that you received from Roy Rogers' grandson, this may be as good as it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks