What's new

TV-Tuner Box recommendations for LCD/CRT? (1 Viewer)

KevinBMiller

Auditioning
Hiya

I would like to watch television through both my old Runco CRT (CinemaPro 760) and/or LCD monitor. However, I am tired of having to connect and power-up my computer for the TV-tuner functions. Does anyone have suggestions for a set-top box TV tuner that is not going to cost an arm-and-a-leg?

Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Most people for basic NTSC just use a cheapie Stereo Hi-Fi VCR. I'm not familure enough with those displays, but if they have svideo in, then this is the best / cheapest solution. Decent JVC SVHS decks, are darn cheap these days, when you can find them. Even brand new.

KevinBMiller

Auditioning
Hiya
UPDATE: The VCR idea didnt work because the CH3/CH4 selector doesnt have anything to select from...therefore I get no video, but sound is good.

Yes, that is a good idea for the CRT projector that accepts S-video. I could use the antenna coaxial to the VCR and then connect to my receiver unit via composite which would then go to Runco via S-video. The S-video out option from an SVHS is appealing.

I was originally thinking about the LCD computer display TV-tuner. I know Viewsonic makes a stand alone TV tuner, but I'd like to hear what others use.

Thanks for great idea on Runco!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Are you using an antenna for OTA? I have a Samsung SIR-T151 that I recently got for about $200 including shipping. The picture is stunning! The current year model SIR-T451 is only $250 at Crutchfield of all places.

KevinBMiller

Auditioning
Thanks for another idea. I am currently just running antenna as I get several channels (Mpls MN). I had previously thought about the Nextvision for conversion to computer monitor output...but it is ONLY computer monitor output and no S-video/composite video. The projector is old so I am trying to keep costs down. I suppose Cable TV would give me a box with S-video out and the box ( I assume ) acts as a channel tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread