TV-Tuner Box recommendations for LCD/CRT?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by KevinBMiller, Oct 7, 2004.

1. KevinBMiller

KevinBMiller Auditioning

Hiya

I would like to watch television through both my old Runco CRT (CinemaPro 760) and/or LCD monitor. However, I am tired of having to connect and power-up my computer for the TV-tuner functions. Does anyone have suggestions for a set-top box TV tuner that is not going to cost an arm-and-a-leg?

Thanks!

2. John S

John S Producer

Most people for basic NTSC just use a cheapie Stereo Hi-Fi VCR. I'm not familure enough with those displays, but if they have svideo in, then this is the best / cheapest solution. Decent JVC SVHS decks, are darn cheap these days, when you can find them. Even brand new.

3. KevinBMiller

KevinBMiller Auditioning

Hiya
    UPDATE: The VCR idea didnt work because the CH3/CH4 selector doesnt have anything to select from...therefore I get no video, but sound is good.

Yes, that is a good idea for the CRT projector that accepts S-video. I could use the antenna coaxial to the VCR and then connect to my receiver unit via composite which would then go to Runco via S-video. The S-video out option from an SVHS is appealing.

I was originally thinking about the LCD computer display TV-tuner. I know Viewsonic makes a stand alone TV tuner, but I'd like to hear what others use.

Thanks for great idea on Runco!

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Are you using an antenna for OTA? I have a Samsung SIR-T151 that I recently got for about $200 including shipping. The picture is stunning! The current year model SIR-T451 is only $250 at Crutchfield of all places.

5. KevinBMiller

KevinBMiller Auditioning

Thanks for another idea. I am currently just running antenna as I get several channels (Mpls MN). I had previously thought about the Nextvision for conversion to computer monitor output...but it is ONLY computer monitor output and no S-video/composite video. The projector is old so I am trying to keep costs down. I suppose Cable TV would give me a box with S-video out and the box ( I assume ) acts as a channel tuner.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter