TV to Receiver Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WillG, Mar 6, 2003.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

Question,

I hooked my cable box up to my receiver through the A/V inputs. But I'm only getting audio out of the center channel. Shouldn't I be getting sound out of my Left/Right speakers as well. Can someone let me know if I am doing anything wrong

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

You probably have your receiver set on ProLogic, and the audio you're getting is in mono instead of stereo, or the left and right happen to be the same. When that happens, ProLogic directs that to the center channel.

You can try switching your receiver to some 2-channel mode. Different receivers have different names for it. If you mention the make/model, someone might be able to be more specific.

//Ken

3. WillG

WillG Producer

JVC RX-6018V

4. WillG

WillG Producer

But aren't most tv programs broadcast in stereo and not in Mono

5. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

It depends on your local station / cable company...

But, yes... most broadcasts are in stereo. Still, for most programs, most sound comes from the center channel. All on-screen (and most off-screen) dialog will come through the center channel. Music, laugh tracks and sound effects may come from anywhere.

There are relatively few aggressive stereo / surround mixes on made-for-TV content.

-Scott

6. WillG

WillG Producer

Thanks,

The irony of it is that before I hooked up my box to the receiver, it actually sounded like I was getting good Stereo seperation out of the TV Speakers, and through the receiver, all I got was center channel and I was thinking WTF?