TV Suggestion- 27"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew V, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine is in the market for a new Television and since I’m not too familiar with 27" TVs, I thought I would come to you guys.
    His main uses would be for watching satellite, playing video games and watching some movies. He doesn’t have any preference as far as the brand goes. He just wants something that has good performance and will be reliable. His budget is around $600 but would prefer to keep the price under that.
    Thanks in advanced for your help.
    ------------------
    ~Andrew~
    ~Pronto Programmer~
    AIM SN: FFU Productions
    ICQ #: 21603991
    Home Theater Pictures
    Equipment List | My Growing DVD Collection

2. Timothy J. Trace

Timothy J. Trace Auditioning

You can't find more bang-for-the-buck than Sony's KV-27FV17, currently selling for $727 @ Circuit City stores in the Midwest United States.

3. Andrew V

I appreciate your Suggestion Timothy, but as I indicated before my friend’s budget is only $600. I don’t think he could muster up the extra $127.
    Another other Suggestions?
    ------------------
    ~Andrew~
    ~Pronto Programmer~
    AIM SN: FFU Productions
    ICQ #: 21603991
    Home Theater Pictures
    Equipment List | My Growing DVD Collection

4. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Andrew, I would suggest taking a serious look at the JVC D-Series sets. They have component & S-vid. connnections, and can do a form of anamorphic squeeze via the service menu.
    Did I mention that they have a fantastic picture? 'Cuz they have that too.
    Good luck,
    ~Kris M

5. Don Beverly

Don Beverly Extra

Zenith Inteq has 3composite in, 3 s video, component and RF

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Andrew, the choice really boils down to flat tube vs. curved tube. For 27 inch sets, if you go the traditional curved tube set, you can get a decent set for between $300-400. Toshiba A series, the JVC D series, the Panasonic D series as well as the new Sharp sets that have component video inputs. Exact cost depends on whether you want the PiP model or "cinema" series model, etc. If you want a flat tube, then the price jumps $200-300. All the above manufacturers have 27 inch flat tube offerings around the $550-600 range. Other manufacturers have offerings as well (I think I saw a flat tube Zenith at Sears).
    I would say your best bet is to figure out what your friend wants in features, input capabilities, flat vs. curved, etc. and then start visiting the web pages of known manufacturers. Once you have a list of sets you're interested in, go visit stores that carry them and narrow down the selection.
    good luck,
    --tom

7. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

I had a JVC D-201 before I bought a Toshiba RPTV and I feel that it's a GREAT TV for the money. The component in picture is far better than the Wega S-Video picture if he plays video games enough to warrant it.

8. Andrew V