TV Stands for the 36XBR450?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GermainW, Nov 7, 2001.

1. GermainW

GermainW Extra

Ok, I am now a proud owner of the 36" XBR Wega.
    Having plonked down $2k for the TV, I am a little hesitant about spending another 300 bucks on the Sony stand. The thing is, *IF* I liked the stand, I wouldn't mind the 300 bucks as much, but the fact is, I find the stand, well, not very practical. I am going to have a receiver, a DVD player, and a VCR, but THERE'S ONLY ONE RACK on the stand!
    Buy an AV rack, so you say. Well, I live in an apt. where space is a premium.
    Are there any 36" Wega owners out here who use stands OTHER THAN the original Sony ones? If so, how do you like them and where can I buy one? I need something that will hold the weight of this monster and something with more than one rack.

2. BruceN

BruceN Auditioning

I also recently got the xbr450 and I think it is a great TV. When I had it delivered I had them put it on a sturdy coffee table but I ended up buying the Sony stand from Tweeter as the 450 was not very stable on my cofee table. When I called on the stand and was told the $300 price I then offered $250 and they accepted. I admit it doesn't have a lot of storage space but I love the way it looks. From reading newsgroups I learned that the stand for the 36HS20 at Best Buy also fits the xbr450 (the dimensions of both TV's are identical). This is the stand that has the darkened glass doors and more storage space. I think the price is $250. I feel more comfortable buying a stand made especially for this 240lb. beast (either for the xbr or the HS) as they also have a strap in the back that attaches from the stand to the TV to prevent it from falling forward. Hope this helped.

3. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the 32XBR450, and found the matching stand inadequate. I ended up with the Salamander TV35 stand. 3 shelves, overall 20" high, and is perfect for big tvs. Goto http://www.hifi.com and search for "tv35" and you'll see what I'm talking about. The stand holds my tv, DVD player, SVHS VCR, Yamaha receiver, and Parasound amp with room to spare.
    -Erik

4. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

5. Dan Hopkinson

I use a Bush cabinet (VS47436). I too thought that the look of the Sony stand was a little too "future-y" for my taste. Unfortunately, the stand only has two shelves, but it does have storage on the sides. Plus the lines of the cabinet fit perfectly with the TV. Even the doors on the stand (not the glass ones) are cut at an angle to match the front angle on the Wega. I got it from Circuit City, can't remember how much.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It cannot be emphasized enough, however, that whichever stand you choose must be capable of supporting all that weight. I put my FV-series on a supposedly strong end table, and the thing started to collapse after a couple of weeks. Then I bought the Sony-marketed stand.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]