TV Size upgrade????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eddie Sanchez, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Eddie Sanchez

I was checking out this site http://homepage.mac.com/hdtv_guide/ and if you take a look at it it does make sense to have 36" 4:3. Since I watch 80% 4:3 material on 20% DVD's. My current TV doesn't have 16x9 squeeze which I want to take advantage of anamorphic DVD's. If I were to upgrade to another 36" TV which one would you recommend. Or if I were to upgrade to a 16x9 RPTV which size would equal a 36" in 4:3 mode. I'm looking to spend less $2000-2500 for either TV. THanks

2. TimG

TimG Second Unit

You would need to go to a 44" 16x9 to give you the same area in 4x3 mode as a regular 36" 4x3 tv. Of course your movies on dvd would be a lot larger then with a 36" 4x3 tv. [​IMG] Here is a good site to compare tv sizes.
    http://www.cavecreations.com/tv.cgi
    Tim

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Tim is right, you have to go much larger than 34" in a 16x9 ratio to equal 36" in 4:3 mode. comparing a 36" 4:3 to a 34" 16x9. the 34" will give you about 5% more area in all widescreen modes than the 36" will, but the 36" has either 26% or 40% more viewing area in 4:3 mode (I worked out the math, but i cant recall off the top of my head which it was)

4. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Actually movies that are "anamorphic" can be any ratio from 1:1.78 to 1:2.35 and beyond.

Tim

5. Eddie Sanchez

6. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I have always thought that a 4:3 tube TV with a true anamorphic squeeze should provide the same resolution as a 16:9 tube TV. I understand that a large RPTV with 9" guns can show more, but aren't tubes the same?

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

8. Thomas_P

Thomas_P Agent

Jack is right, 16:9 squeezes provide full resolution to 16:9 sources, so its just like having a widescreen with black bars on the top and bottom.

A few facts about the DVI/HDCP on the new Sony sets. 1. All of the new HDTVs from Sony will have them. The way I understand HDCP, the copy protection is in the signal, therfore there is no decoder needed. Even though I don't understand it, they will have DVI/HDCP and that makes me happy.

9. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Thomas_P I do not understand what you are saying with regars to there not being a decoder needed, In a sony press release they even mentioned a set top box, as well I suppse it may be different in the US as oppposed to Canada, but not all of the HDTV sets will have DVI.

and yes most of the tv's you will likely be looking at will do the squeeze as far as 1:1.78, but like i said if the screen is any wider you will still lose scan lines to the black bars.

10. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Yes, but you only lose a small quantity compared to showing the same ratios without the squeeze.

Tim

11. Thomas_P

Thomas_P Agent

John, The US press release said that Thirteen of their sets would have DVI/HDCP, I think all of them. HDCP doesn't decode the HD signal like a set top box. It's not an internal tuner. The signal just can't be copied, like a DVD. I think this is right, but someone fell free to let me know if im wrong.

12. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Thomas the press release did say 13 tv's, unfortunately most of them are projection, and so some of the xbr's ie the 32" and 36" ones arent on that list. Check the press release you will notice they arent all mentioned, as well i am looking at the latest evolve and they dont all mention dvi inputs, hmmm then again i may be wrong in the canadian evolve the only tv with DVI is the HS, i seem to stand corrected, sorry.