TV signal overload/screen roll

Discussion in 'Displays' started by VincentS, Nov 29, 2005.

1. VincentS

VincentS Auditioning

I have a 51" Philips projection HDTV monitor, Model 51PP9303H. I actually won it as a door prize, so I guess I can't complain about the price. However, it has a problem with some kind of signal overload that only happens with when watching DVD's in progressive mode.

I have my DVD player hooked up with the component video inputs. The only progressive scan inputs the TV has are the one set of component inputs and a DVI input. Whenever there is a rapid, bright flash on the picture (such as a bright explosion or some kind of strobing light), the TV signal cuts out and briefly goes to a blank screen (as if there was no signal) and then the screen rolls as the TV reacquires the signal.

I have several questions:
    1. Is there a name for this problem?
    2. Is this a design problem with the model or is there something wrong with my TV?
    3. Is there anything that can be done to fix it, either on the TV or by some external product?
    4. I saw a signal filter at Radio Shack that the description on the package purported to solve a problem that sounded like what I'm experiencing, but it only had a coaxial input and output. My problem is only on the component video inputs. Do they make a signal filter for the component inputs, would it solve my problem, and if so, would it degrade the picture or cause any other negative side-effects?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Sounds like the set gets confused by very high signal levels - it used to be a common problem on old CRT displays that a bright white signal could be 'interpreted' as a sync-black, and attempt to resync the display, causing the picture to roll.

If this is the case, I'm very surprised that such problems still exist.

And if I were Philips, I'd be embarrassed to have a product doing this sort of thing now-a-days.

But I don't think there's much you can do for it (except maybe upgrade to a DVI player?)

Leo

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

My 2 year old Hitachi does this too, tho not as severe. I just get a quick flicker on the screen. The camera flashes on CSI are particularly annoying. I am having someone out tomorrow to look at this before my extended warranty runs out in 3 weeks. Do a search in this forum. There was a thread on this within the last couple months. I think it was combined with issues from using the directv HD DVR -- HR10-250, which is where I am getting my problem. This was a known problem in 2 other brands of television. One was Sony. I think Toshiba was the other. For the Sony, there was a replacement circuit board. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

4. VincentS

VincentS Auditioning

I would greatly appreciate it if you could find the thread. I ran some searches before posting, but since I don't know what to call the problem, I didn't come up with anything.

5. Charlie Campisi

Slightly poor memory -- it was at the tivocommunity forum with some links to avs. I see mention of the Sony and Hitachi. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but here are the threads and they can at least give you some clues as to what may be the problem, even if they don't have a ready fix. Some people have luck with different connections such as dvi, or else by using a signal amp. I'll post after my service tomorrow.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=261186

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=264234

http://hdtv.forsandiego.com/messages/2/TVP0442-607.pdf

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...HDTivo+Problem

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Does turning down the contrast on the TV help?

There is one thing you could try, if you are in the market for a new DVD player. Buy a player with its own brightness and constrast controls. When you adjust the player's contrast down, any "white level overload" of the input stages is reduced.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

7. Charlie Campisi

I had to postpone my service today until next week. I'll update if I learn anything.

I calibrated my contrast/brightness with DVE so it is turned down. Funny, but my problem only seems to be with the hd-dvr which apparently sends the signal in such a way as to be more prone to reveal the issue, at least according to the tivo community folks.

8. VincentS

VincentS Auditioning

Thanks for the links. As you said, other than a factory correction, on one has a solution, but if misery loves company, at least I'm not alone in this issue.

I've tried different contrast settings, to no real result. If anyone has any other information, please let me know.

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

More than 10 years ago I bought a cheap 31" GE TV that did this- it went back after a week.