What's new

TV Shows You've Bought but Won't Complete (1 Viewer)

John-M

Stunt Coordinator
ER-I am stopping at Season 8, it just isn't the same without Dr. Greene (Anthony Edwards)

Simpsons-I haven't brought any Simpsons sets yet but when I do, I will stop at season 10, after season 10, it went downhill

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Buffy: TVS - Seasons 1-3 only. There's some good episodes in seasons 4-7, but for me this show ends when they graduate high school.

Northern Exposure - Joel leaves during the final season if I recall correctly. The first 3 seasons were the best of the series and all I have so far, but there's enough good episodes to get me at least up to season 5.

X-Files - I bought the four Mythology Collections and the movie. That's it.

Babylon 5 - Seasons 1-4 only. I won't say season 5 is bad and I recommend people watch it if they liked 1-4. I just don't personally feel a desire to watch it ever again for reasons I won't bore you with. Whereas I watch seasons 1-4 at least once a year.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
It's so funny to see an old thread 1 & half yrs old get resurrected.

What this thread makes obvious is that many of us love our old favorites, but when viewed back to back, some of them become painfully repetitive.

Sanford and Son season 6. The first 4 were great, but 5 was pathetic. I think 6 might be too.

Alias. I watched 1 and loved it. But I've heard a lot of bad buzz about seasons 3 and 4. Makes me not even want to go any further. Is it that bad?

While not a TV show, I gave up on the Disney Treasures. More of a chore watching these old cartoons that look great but just aren't that funny or exciting.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator

If you loved Season 1 then definitely watch Season 2. You'll be glad you did.

I didn't like Season 3 and never watched beyond that.

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
I plan on collecting the full series of all my sets. Even though they might have sucked, they were still my favorite shows.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
My exact senitments regarding this show. I also have purchased the first three seasons of All Creatures Great and Small, but will not be purchasing Season 4 after Carol Drinkwater was replaced as Helen.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
ER - I'll get up to Season 8, which ends in the most heart-wrenching way possible. After that it basically becomes a complete joke.

Dynasty - Probably up to Season 5. Nothing could ever top that season finale Maldavian wedding! The series should've ended there.

Josh LM

Stunt Coordinator
ALF - bought season 1 randomly, not good enough to buy the rest
Dukes of Hazzard - my memory of the show was better than the show itself
Macgyver - I think 1 season may be enough
Flintstones - I doubt I'll ever get around to completing it

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

The first half of the season was very mehish at best. Things finally start to slowly kick in a bit during the second half then really get much better with the second season. Don't give up on the show - once you get to the meat then its great.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

The "Meet the Flinstones" theme is the original them for Seasons 3-6 and is on the DVD's as well. The "Rise and Shine" theme was only for Seasons 1-2. The Flinstones is another one that people would probably stick with if they started on Season 2. Season 1 and 6 are by far weaker than 2-5. The animation and drawings really improved in Season 2 and the show really found its groove starting in Season 2 and got past relying on the "Oh look their using a Dinosaur to do that" gags and started developing better stories.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I don't doubt that at all. It's been so long since I've seen it (and probably many others too). I bought S1 ages ago and I haven't watched any in a while. :frowning: Although many of my favorites I liked from S1 like when Barney gets the pool, there are some greats that I remember from other seasons, like when Fred falls asleep and has that dream that he's slept himself into extreme old age. Also, the one where Fred & Barney are in a 007 kind of spy story. Or perhaps my favorite, the time travel machine at the amusement park. Damn, now that I put some effort into remembering, there are many I can't wait to see again. There's alway been a strong desire to buy these up before they go oop or something. It takes some looking back to realise it was really a fun show that often still stands on its own but now with endless nostalgia.

I'll be glad to get to season 3. :)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not sure I will complete Law&Order. The long wait between releases has become tiresome and I don't even watch the show anymore anyway

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator

I'll give it a second try. I got through only the first disc when I bought the set initially. It had moments but overall it was a little too "Dawson's Creek". I'm hoping that changes as it progresses...

KatyD

Auditioning
Real Name
Katy Dreier
probaly the simpsons, and the facts of life perhaps...who knows....

Duane Alford

Second Unit
The Big Valley: I'm not interested in split season sets. The fact that I got all 30 episodes of Season 1 for $20, and now they expect us to spend double on half the episodes means it's time to throw in the towel on it.

Sliders: Still waiting on Season 4. After Jerry O'Connell left, it wasn't the same. With only one original cast member left, I have no interest in Season 5.

Airwolf: Everyone hates Season 4. IIRC, TV Guide had a story when it aired on the USA Network that stated that CBS had cancelled it and it had been off the air for over a year. USA started airing reruns and the reruns drew such good ratings that they decided to bring the show back. To me this wasn't "Season 4" but more of a new show. The fact that none of the cast would come back, and hell they couldn't even get Airwolf itself to come back (they used CBS footage of the helicopter) means this is one to avoid. I'm watching Season 2 right now and loving every bit of it. Bring on Season 3!

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Gimme a break on ``Bewitched''! Did you ever watch the show when you were a kid, and like it? If so, I thought this show held up extremely well, especially the first season where we're introduced to Darrin, Samantha and Endora. Even in black and white. The same went for the second season, which was also in black and white.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I still adore Bewitched, Munsters and Lost in Space. But I can see them getting old if you watch them all the time. I used to watch Munsters too much when TV Land was running it a few years ago. Now, I wish I had the DVD sets instead of the single tape with a few eps on it. Anyway....each of these shows are like old friends. I don't have to actually laugh or even pay attention to them to enjoy the experience. I love shows that reach that point.

Btw, someone mentioned Sanford & Son not being funny anymore after Season 4 and I respectfully disagree. Just finished up 5 and started 6 and I'm still laughing. There's some soft spots, and nothing quite matches the best of the series, but I couldn't imagine not finishing up S&S because there's some classics in there.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
There are some shows that really didn't hit their stride until their third(!) season. Some examples:

The first two seasons of The Brady Bunch were just too cloyingly cute, and at times maudlin (all the pathos about the whole 'step-family' issue- in a sitcom?), and seemed trapped in the early 60's instead of the late 60s. With the third season, the Bradys everyone remembers came through- those 70s mishmash polyesters, Greg beginning to let his hair grow out, Jan's neuroses, Carol's shag 'do', and an overall hipness (for 1971, LOL!) factor comes in (can you imagine Davy Jones making his celebrated BB appearance earlier than the third season- I think not). It's no coincidence that the successful feature films spoofed the characters and stories from seasons 3 through 5- let's face it, that's when the show was fun! And those are the only seasons I'd buy on DVD.

Similarly, once Fonzie moved into the garage apartment at the Cunninghams, the Happy Days everyone loved came to life. I'm aware there are those who prefer the earlier shows, but as a kid in the 1970s, Fonzie was like a superhero to me, and I tuned in every week to see him punch that jukebox. The characterizations were finally set: Richie as the romantic dreamer, Ralph as the self-perceived 'life of the party', complete with bad jokes, Potsie as the dumb but sweet pal who could sing out a great tune, also Marion became feistier and a mother figure to Fonzie, and rare among sitcom moms, actually had sex and enjoyed it! (remember all the times she and Mr. C raced upstairs whenever they 'got frisky'?) For me, the show was great from this point until Ron Howard left. When Season Three comes on DVD, I'll be there!

Likewise with Night Court- once Markie Post comes on as Christine, the show finally comes together. Warner Brothers must know that seasons Two and Three may have to be release simultaneously as die-hard fans may only want the Post episodes.

BernieV

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah. I replied early on that I wouldn't buy Sliders S3 because of the price increase and decline in storytelling. For some reason I changed my mind during the last DDD sale. A copy of S3 is sitting on the shelf unopened. I just know there are Kromaggs lurking inside. :thumbsdown:

Another series where I elected to stop at S2 is I Dream of Jeannie. I loved the first two years, but the original premise started to get lost with increasing guest appearances, location episodes, evil cousin Jeannie and other unfunny characters. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks