What's new

TV Shows You've Bought but Won't Complete (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I've had a couple of shows that I aborted:

The Simpsons - I was going to bail on this when the show started to suck ass around season 10 or so, but then Fox went with the goofy looking giant head crap. That just sealed the deal for me 3 seasons earlier. Thanks for saving me some cash, Fox.

Ren and Stimpy - I wouldnt have picked up anything beyond the first box anyway (where the show really started to suck), but after watching season 1 again - you know, the show just didnt do anything for me anymore.

Rocky and Bullwinkle - I still enjoy the show, but as long as the studio insists on putting that watermark on the show, then they can stuff the box sets in a very unplesent place. Season one is as far as I went (and only because I cant return the damn set).

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Andy Griffith Show - I wonder how far the sales will drop for the eps in color.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
So far, Sanford & Son is the only one that I'm just not interested in completing. I never really liked the show when it was originally on, but I thought I'd give it a chance on DVD. I bought seasons 1 and 2, and got seasons 3 and 4 as gifts, but I just can't get into it. I know that there are only 2 more seasons, but why bother. Maybe someday, just to have the whole show, but I haven't watched an episode after season 1.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
To everyone who said they will stop buying The Simpsons after season 8- In my opinion, you are all very smart. I plan to do the same. I just wish they had waited until season 9 before they started screwing with the packaging :)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

you've missed some great ones in that case. Season 9 has been lackluster at best thus far, but seasons 7 and 8 took the show to a new high. There were so many classic moments in those 2 seasons: J. Lo, Michael "Jefferson" (Jackson), the ninja star in Butters' eye, Cartman pretending to be mentally retarded to get in the special olympics, Woodland Critter Christmas, Faith Plus One, "Whore Off", Casa Bonita, "dey toork rrrr jorbs!!!", etc....

I'd argue that SP actually became better after the fourth grade episodes. Seasons 7 and 8 were probably the most consistantly hilarious seasons of the entire run.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Cheers - Do not plan on buying S6 or beyond - can't stand Kirstie Alley in anything. Will rent until it (she) gets me sick.

M*A*S*H - Stopped after S4, cross-over season (between great and OK). Between the character changes and the fact that it's been on TV syndication 5 times a day since the dawn of time,...

The Flintstones - too many DVDs coming out by the time I bought S1. A childhood favorite that doesn't do it for me anymore.

When they get around to doing Mission: Impossible, I'll see if I can deal with the later seasons - the early ones are an absolute must, though.

Doug

Ben_D

Agent
I am a completist. If I start buying a series on DVD, I plan to buy the whole series. It's just that certain series end, in my mind, before their network runs actually ended. As far as I'm concerned, The Andy Griffith Show ended after Season Five and Barney's departure. Party of Five (if they ever release future seasons) ended after Season Four and they had to start stretching to come up with new problems for the kids. And Roseanne ended after Season Eight, with the big fight between Roseanne and Dan (hey, just watch Season One, they're already talking divorce. Lottery? What lottery?)

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought the first seasons of The Flintstones and Murphy Brown and only got them because of how cheap I got them (about $15 each). I may never have got them at all save for that price and now I have a nice sampling of episodes...I can just enjoy one whenever I feel like it and don't feel the need to get a couple hundred episodes of each. I would probably also stop buying The Waltons upon Richard Thomas' exit from the show...it just wasn't the same after that, especially since he was the focal point of most of the stories. I can't really think of any shows I'd stop buying due to a decline of quality. I know, for instance, that a lot of people thought Lois & Clark really went downhill after they got married but it actually made it even more interesting to me. For years, we've always wondered if Lois & Superman would marry and now we got a chance to see what their life was like once they did.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I wonder how many will stop collecting the seasons once their hip deep in tv product? I have so many I'm facing the prospect of not having enough time to ever watch them all.

TomIXG

Grip
Real Name
Tom
i kinda lost interest in getting the complete Simpsons even though I adore it. These boxed sets are killing my wallet.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Coupling - I stopped with season 3, the loss of Jeff to the show was too much, it would've been like Friends carrying on after one of the characters left, dynamic was screwed up, so the last season I don't need or want.

Melrose Place - I'm stopping after season 5 when most of the cast (Bissett, Thorne-Smith, Savant, Show, Cross....) leave

Happy Days - I may stop after 3 (I know 3 is when it went live, but 3 was still great fun), may stop with 7 (Howard's last season) but may possibly get all 11 years for the hell of it. Depends how cheap they are.

Of course, never say never... I swore I was going to stop with season 3 of Moonlighting, but then decided to get season 4 at the DDD sale and will probably go ahead and get 5 for completion sake

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
24. I bought the first season used for fifteen bucks, then picked up seasons two and three for $16.99 at Target over the holidays. Plot aside, I find I just cannot watch these shows that are shot without using a steadycam. I ended up selling the second and third seasons online for a $10 profit, so no foul.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Dark Angel. I blind bought Season 1 cheap. That'll be it. I'm thinking of reselling it.

I agree about the Flintstones. I only have season 1. But it's lost something over the years. Maybe The Simpsons has just bettered it by too substantial a margin. But I'll still finish it. I think what threw me off was the "restoration" of the original opening titles. I grew up with "Meet the Flintstones".

Katherine_K

Second Unit
The Closer - I picked it up because I like police dramas as a blind buy. I found one police drama I didn't like. Made me want to throw things at the tv.

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator
As others have said, never say never, but:

Newsradio: Might stop at season 4. After Phil, I kind of lost interest. It was never the same. No offense to the rest of the cast, who were great.

Family Guy: At this point it's wearing thin, IMO. I'm caught up to date but I think I might bail at this point.

X Files: I have Seasons 1-5 and Fight the Future. That feels "complete" to me as is. No need for more.

South Park: I have 5-8 and will continue from there. The older episodes don't do much for me.

Green Acres: Loved this as a kid. Bought the first season and can't make it even half way through.

Lost: Own 1 & 2. Season three so far is not all its cracked up to be. Unless they seriously turn it around, I can't see continuing.

Pinky & the Brain: I know it's not "Season Sets", but I'm still gonna stop at the first "volume". Not as good as I remembered.

Smallville: Bought the first season blind. Can't get into it. Sorry.

Sopranos: Own 1 & 2. I've watched the rest and don't have any interest in re-watching it.

Rocky and Bullwinkle: Got Seasons 1 and 2 really cheap. It was like slow torture watching the first disc of Season 1. Why did I ever like this?

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
Happy Days (only want about the first four seasons)
Laverne & Shirley (only want the Milwaukee episodes)
All In the Family (only until Mike and Gloria leave,,,it was really lame after that)
Mork & Mindy (only the first and fourth seasons were any good)
Bewitched????(am undecided about the dismal 8th season)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I am usually a completist, but the only show I have a stopping point for that isn't the final episode is The Simpsons. I bow out with season 11.

MelissaAngel

Auditioning
Beverly Hills, 90210
I mainly like the high school years. After that, it was boring.

Dawson's Creek
I thought seasons 1 and 2 were the best.

A Different World
I love the show but not enough to buy all the seasons.

Desperate Housewives
Season 1 was great, but season season was not. I'll buy season 3, though.

Gilmore Girls
I liked season 1-3, but I lost interest after.

Roseanne
The last season was just horrible.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Dream On - The first two seasons were the only ones I had seen when they originally aired. I doubt I would buy later ones if they were released.

Growing Pains - I only want the first three seasons.

Happy Days - Again, just the first three seasons.

Ren & Stimpy - The first and second season set is enough.

The Simpsons - That is a tough one for me. I have what I consider to be the classic years, which is one through eight. Beyond that, I really don't know. There are some pretty funny episodes in each season so I may just continue on with them.

That 70's Show - The first season was given to me as a gift and I strongly doubt I would ever buy anymore myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks