What's new

TV shows you discovered on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've discovered a number of shows on DVD:

Nip/Tuck
Punk'd
West Wing
Dead Zone
The Office
Gilmore Girls
Arrested Development
American Dreams

And probably a number of others, but those are the ones that stand out for me.

Gord

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Fratured Flickers (old show that I haven't seen in syndication), Make Room For Daddy (old show that I've never seen in syndication), and For Better Or For Worse (Canadian cartoon)...

Paul

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Babylon 5 - it was a show I always wanted to watch, based on reputation, but never got to until a friend bought the first season and was nice enough to loan me the discs.

Also, while I never actually discovered Twin Peaks by watching it on DVD, the thing that prompted me to go out and watch it on video was reading reviews of the r1 release - it was over a year before the r4 release came.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
24 I think this show lends itself to skiping the entire season just so you can watch said season over the period of a weekend. I practically locked myself in my house and watched it non-stop till it was over. And all because of the glowing endorsement given here by HTF owner Ron Epstein.

The Shield I had no idea shows this risky were even on basic cable.

The Sapranos Didn't have HBO for the longest time.

Sex in the City My wifes selection. I think she was as addicted to this show as I was to 24.

Next up will probably be Buffy, due to all of the glowing endorsements found here.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I've discovered a lot of Canadian and British programs through DVD releases. Crime Traveller (UK) would have to be my top favorite for DVD discovery, but DaVinci's Inquest (Canada) was another great one. I'm hoping the remaining series will be released on DVD, since I don't get any Canadian channels down here in Pennsylvania.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I had never watched a single episode of 24 or Firefly until I bought the DVDs. And while I had already seen a few episodes before, I didn't really get into Buffy or Futurama until I picked up the box sets. Now they're all among my favorite series of all time.

Jon B NY

Stunt Coordinator
Spaced
Black Books
Monty Python's Flying Circus (I wasn't around in the 60's and 70's!) :D

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I've found some great blind buys thanks to this Forum and several other on-line sources:

Dead Like Me - Now, one of my all-time favorite TV shows. Amazing. It's like a great movie with upteen sequels.

Freeks & Geeks - The best (and most realistic) high school comedy ever done!

HowardPaul

Stunt Coordinator
The Sandbaggers.
The most riveting, suspensful, best-acted drama on TV---sadly, very few people ever saw the show. Amazingly taut, terse scripting. Fabulous acting even in the most minor roles.
It stars Roy Marsden as "Burnside" heading a British division of SIS, the British equivalent of the CIA.
What makes the series even more chilling is that it was created by a British Naval Intelligence officer, Ian Mackintosh and clearly is based on some real-life events.
Mackintosh mysteriously disappeared and the show had to be cancelled.
The plane in which he was flying (In real life) when he disappeared was piloted by Graham Barber, an experienced British Airways captain, and Ian's closest friend. Yet Graham failed to file a flight plan before they left, and flew a very different route from that which he told people at the airfield. He also made a brief unscheduled stop at a remote and disused World War II airfield, before flying on towards Kodiak Island, and sending out a mayday signal at the only point where an aircraft briefly disappears from the radar coverage on Kodiak Island itself.

Despite boats and other aircraft converging in the area within minutes, there was no sign of wreckage or survivors. Inquiries by friends and family were simply stonewalled by the authorities in both Alaska and the UK.

When you see the show, you'll understand why there is suspicion surrounding Mackintosh's death or disappearance.

Best
Howard

MattGSmith

Stunt Coordinator
Freaks and Geeks (Total blind buy, and I'm in love with it)!
Dead Zone
Coupling
Sex and the City
Boomtown
Felicity (last 2 seasons)
Roswell (Just bought this for $15 from amazon)

Phil_La

Stunt Coordinator
My brother introduced me to Stargate SG-1 with the DVDs. Up until then, I never really liked much sci-fi except for The X-Files.

Now, I'm a big MacGyver fan, and for a while I was thinking no sci-fi show could be better than Stargate. But he recently convinced me to watch Farscape, and I'd have to say it's one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. I had seen parts of it on TV but never gave it much of a chance. I guess I didn't like Crichton much from what little I saw of him. But now I've come to appreciate the Crichtonisms. I just finished season 2 last night, and I think the cliffhanger is one of the best I've ever seen. The show gives me the same fuzzy feeling inside as X-Files did.

Futurama. Another show I had only seen bits and pieces on TV before. I never caught a full episode on TV before, probably because of the time slots. One day I just decided to buy season 1 because it seemed like something a Family Guy/Simpsons fan would enjoy, and I actually like it more than The Simpsons now.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force. It just seemed like it'd be interesting, so I blindly bought it. Very funny show. If the whole show were as funny as the Dr. Weird intros, it'd probably be my favorite cartoon.

Twin Peaks. Another completely blind buy. Unfortunately no one will ever watch it with me because they hate it. But I personally think it's a damn fine cup of coffee :D

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
So many:

It all started with 24.

I got the first disc from the first season from Netflix. Bought the DVD soon thereafter. Never looked back.

Since then, I've discovered:

The Sopranos is one of the best shows ever.
Six Feet Under is TWISTED, but great.
Coupling and The Office prove that British comedy is one step ahead of amercian comedy.
Alias is addictive as heck.

Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
I've discovered quite a few series on DVD having never seen an episode. I haven't been disappointed yet with a blind buy.

Dead Like Me (love it - one of my new favs)
Due South (up to S3 - loving it so far)
Freaks and Geeks (great show)
Gilmore Girls (most enjoyable time passer)
Keen Eddie (haven't watched it yet)
Made In Canada (great show - very clever)
Nip/Tuck (love it - one of my new favs)
Project Greenlight (interesting)
Six Feet Under (like it a lot)
Soap (love it)

The problem for me for most of these shows is that they have either ended their run and therefore I'm left hanging for the next series on DVD (in the case of the cliff-hanger at the end of Soap S1 - this is pretty annoying) or they are shows not shown in Australia and I have to wait for the next season release on DVD - in the case of the newer shows like Dead Like Me and Nip/Tuck it's at least a season long wait.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
DVD has turned me into a TV junkie, and the following are the shows I've "discovered on DVD":

Buffy the Vampire Slayer : HATED the movie...borrowed the 1st season from a friend to leer at SMG, and now I don't remember what my life was like before Buffy.

Alias : Blind bought for the notion of Jennifer Garner in a zillion wigs and sexy costumes; the plot twists and double-crosses totally won me over.

Roswell : My sister told me that since I love Buffy, I would love this show. Well, it won me over by the end of the first season, but it's nothing like Buffy (too much brooding!)

The Larry Sanders Show : I didn't have cable when this aired. I wish they would release the subsequent seasons.

La Femme Nikita : Loved the film (AND the US remake), and Peta's hot. Pales in comparison to ALIAS. Will be selling this shortly.

The Office: Believe the hype.

The Shield: Borrowed both seasons, got hooked (never bought 'em, though).

Angel: Bought as a companion piece to Buffy, and for the crossover episodes. It's taken me almost three seasons to realize that I find this show excruciating for the most part.

Smallville:Love the Superman myth. Gets really great in the second season.

Dead Like Me: One of my best impulse buys ever.

Manchild: Read a good review of this British-male-answer to "Sex and the City." Funny.

Strangers with Candy: Funny concept, but it lost me during the second season.

Reno 911: I'm a big fan of "COPS," this parody is hilarious!

Boomtown: Had me asking myself the inevitable question "Why, oh why did this show get cancelled?" The ironic answer is that I, like most people, didn't watch it during its initial run.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Sealab 2021: Lent to me by a friend. Totally up my alley, but I don't feel the need to own them.

Mr. Show:I had never even HEARD of this sketch comedy show before the DVDs!

Penn & Teller: BULLS**T: The truth makes me laugh so hard it hurts.

Looking over this list, and adding in all the DVDs of shows I bought that I had previously seen, it's no wonder I have no free time to watch movies these days!

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
A ton of blind buys for me that turned out great:

Buffy
Angel
Babylon 5
Coupling
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Dead Like Me
Firefly
Nip/Tuck
The Shield
The Office
The West Wing

Blind buys that were OK but I sold off:

Alias S1 and S2
Family Guy all seasons
Dead Zone S1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks