What's new

TV shows you discovered on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone else fallen for a show on DVD, of which you had never seen a single episode on the air? I can't be the only one. For me it was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I never saw first run due to the premise sounding dumb and it being on a minor network that I didn't pay attention to.

It's a nice luxury seeing the episodes for the first time uncut and on my own schedule. Only downside is having heard more than I want to know about what will happen in future episodes, so I can't read any of the Buffy threads until I finish all the seasons.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Grabbed Stargate: SG-1 Season 1 DVDs on the recommendation of Usenet personality Gharlane of Eddore (RIP), and was very impressed. Since then I've become a *big* fan.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
ALIAS ( the wonderful members of this forum pushed me in the right direction as it is now one of my favorite shows)

Six Feet Under (another great forum suggestion)

Nip/Tuck (Thanks to my sister in law)

MikeAB

Grip
Buffy also for me. I had heard good things about it and saw a good deal on the first season so i picked it up. Before I knew it, I had watched six seasons of the show in six months. It is definitely an interesting experience to watch that much of a show in a short time period and watch the characters grow and evolve at a ridiculous speed. It was also great not to have to wait a week not to find out what would happen next. I did know a lot of the key plot points, so some of the surprises didn't catch me as off guard as they would have.

Another show I blind bought and loved was Firefly. I only very sporadically watched La Femme Nikita, but have really enjoyed the first two seasons and hope they can work out the legal problems or whatever is holding them up.

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator
Don't laugh...

I recently bought and never saw...

Dallas
Star Trek Original series
Punky Brewster
Battlestar Gallactica
Superman Fleischer cartoons
Lost in Space

I am watching some of them...I have alot to watch though. I just completed Dukes of Hazzard, What's happening, Different Strokes...

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Dead Like Me
Six Feet Under
Freaks & Geeks
Sopranos
Curb Your Enthusiasm

I like 'em all. Especially Freaks & Geeks.

Upcoming:
Alias
The Shield

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

You too, eh? I saw the pilot when it originally aired, but it didn't hold my interest. Since buying the first box, I've now got all the available boxes, and will buy season 7 the day it's released. I can't get enough.

Others I watched for the first time on DVD:

[*]Magnum, pi

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Twin peaks...

Never saw it when it first came out, loved the first season, and am now incredibly pissed off at artisan/paramount/whoever else is responsible for denying us season 2. I've managed to go this far without finding out how things end, and I want to be able to find out by seing the damn episodes by myself...on DVD.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
For me, it was "The Jeffersons". I had not once seen the show prior to the first season DVD release. It was nowhere to be seen in syndication around here. I asked a few people about the show, as well as if it would be worth picking up the set. It is now one of my all-time favorite sitcoms. I think this is why I complain about having to wait for the season three set. Every single episode is new to me, therefore I've only seen the season 1 and 2 episodes. Knowing there are 8 more seasons chock full of episodes I have NEVER seen, I can't help but be a little anxious about these getting released.

Ron_Wi

Auditioning
POPULAR...never saw this show, probably because it was on the WB. Bought the Season 1 set and couldn't stop watching it. I am hoping that the 2nd , and final, season of POPULAR will be released in the future.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Same here. Buffy, the Angel spin off of course, but the best unseen show for me had been Dead Like Me, and Firefly a close second.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
The Sopranos
Sex & the City
Farscape

All AMAZING shows!

Upcoming:
Stargate
Babylon-5
Buffy
Angel

Thanks to Zip.ca (think Netflix Canada), I can rent these series' that I normally wouldn't be able to find in the local video store.

Moe.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
In my case the original Outer Limits, and possibly I can add Night Gallery since my previous exposure to the latter was just one syndicated episode from season 1 ("Lone Survivor").

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks