What's new

TV Shows on DVD - Better = Popular (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know this is all obvious, and while I knew it already, it didn't really hit me until recently....

I just started watching my Family Guy (season 3). I never really thought about this (which is bizarre) until now.

I guess the thing that stuck out in my mind was the fact that these episodes were just recently broadcast for the first time. I had actually just watched a few of these episodes on my Replay TV. When I started the first episode, I started thinking to myself "Do I really want to start watching these right now, or do I want to wait", since I had just recently watched them, I didn't want it to feel like I was watching them all over again. I wanted some sort of excitement to them, so I figured maybe I should wait a while until I had forgotten about them and then they'd be more exciting when I started to watch them again.

But when the blue light came on my receiver (indicating Dolby 5.1), it hit me. Not only is the picture better than originally broadcast, but the sound was MUCH better than what was on tv.

And to add the fact that there was no damn Fox logo in the corner of the screen, I was amazed at my realization at how much BETTER tv shows (on DVD) are than their original presentation.

As much as we talk about trying to make movies (on DVD) as close to the look and sound of their original theatrical presentation, TV shows are one of the only forms where it is actually BETTER, on DVD, than it was originally presented on cable TV!

DAMN! No wonder why tv on dvd is so damn popular. ;)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I agree that DVD presentations are superior for the reasons you've listed and have contributed to some of my purchase decisions. Not having to skip commercials ( it is so tough to use that remote :) ) are another mild benefit. Also, being able to view 'story arcs' over a relatively short span is another benefit for those series that employ them.

I would also point out that DVD releases tend to provide a superior means of viewing ALL of the original broadcast when compared to series that are cut for syndication. ( Sure, there are some unfortunate releases that don't provide all of the original content, but I believe they are in the minority. )

Oh yeah, and another thing, the 'bang for the buck' on the less expensive sets is another factor in the popularity of TV on DVD. Some of these releases, assuming one loves the show, offer incredible value in terms of entertainment per dollar.

Admittedly all very obvious.

- Walter.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I watched so much Arrested Development on DVD in the past few months that when I watch the Fox broadcasts on satellite the theme song sounds muddy and muffled. Even through my 12-year-old stereo the sound is way better on the DVD. Of course, picture quality is better too.

Only those with HD sets are seeing better quality than DVD.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I didn't want to make it too wordy. It basically means that since the presentation on the DVD's is better than their original broadcastings, it makes sense why TV on DVD is so popular.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Damn it! This is the 2nd TV shows on TV thread that I posted here. I think my bookmarks are all screwed up after changing everything when the site went into the new format, then changing them back when the site went back to the old format. Ack!

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have cable :eek: and prefer to watch shows like 24, Alias, and other shows with lengthy story arcs, WS, and surround sound on DVD over a couple of days instead of off the air for several months, missing an episode here and there and suffering with no surround sound. :)

For those that suggest getting cable, I can get 2 or 3 box sets for what the cable bill would be each month.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Listen, all I notice is how much better they look on dvd. I have cable, live near a major U.S. city, but am still at the mercy of broadcasting. CBS always looks screwy on my tv and ABC always looks weak. And then there's all those shows that get interrupted for fascinating news reports of high-speed car chases. Dvd is now my preferred means of watching everything.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I watched Lost on DVD having never seen it on the air.

Now, I'm forced to watch the thing once a week and I hate it. I'm almost tempted to wait until the season 2 set and watch it then.

On the air, the commercials also destroy the suspense on a show like Lost. With DVD, I turn the lights out and the sound up. Much better.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I agree with everything everyone just said. I watch a few shows on DVD and I love it. I guess the only reason I don't do that with all the shows I watch is because I'm a little paranoid that a show I enjoy might not make it to DVD for me to watch it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It's an interesting factoid (for me, anyway) that over half my collection is TV box sets. They are much easier to watch than a two hour Batman Begins or three hour LotR. I put Simpsons S7 on while making cookies on Saturday and got through the entire disc...and made five different kinds of cookies.

Most of my upcoming release schedule is TV shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks