What's new

TV Shows on Blu-ray. What's ahead? (1 Viewer)

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Both series of Life On Mars are coming out on BD here in the UK in October.

Given that the show was made on super 16mm this surprises me, but they should still benefit from high bit rate encoding compared to DVD levels.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Super 16mm shows look noticeably better in hi-def than in SD. "Monk" and "Psych" look better in their USA HD broadcasts than they do on DVD, and I imagine they would be better still on Blu-Ray, although not as good as if they had been shot in 35mm.

Regards,

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
For fans of the older stuff, getting them on DVD is like pulling teeth from a lion. Getting them on DVD done well is like pulling teeth from a lion, attempting to perform a root canal, and applying an anesthetic.

I have no illusions that their plight on BD will be any better. And if they do come out, there's always that aspect ratio question hanging over our heads.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
There are a handful of classic shows that would entice me to become a BD owner. PERRY MASON, shot noir style on 35mm, looks superb in SD and I can only imagine it would really shine in BD. TWILIGHT ZONE is another.

For half hour shows, don't shoot me, but BATMAN would seem to be a great candidate with its eye popping colors and graphics. I already own DICK VAN DYKE on SD and wouldn't double dip.

Unfortunately the market for classic TV on BD is likely very, very small and I doubt many would double dip if they already owned the SD versions.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

How the aspect ratio of old series will work in our new 16x9 world is going to be interesting to watch.

Will there even be a place for a TV Land type network that shows MASH & Munsters reruns all night? If not, then these classic shows will become "extinct" quickly. Let alone on BD.

However, I do think the very best 4x3 shows will survive & eventually come to BD. Star Trek and Twilight Zone are 2 that would sell well even in 4x3 BD. Batman as someone else mentioned, would too.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

Well as owner of season one of Star Trek in HD-DVD, I can tell you that 4x3 shows look great in hi-def. Granted you get the bars on the side (I refuse to stretch the image), but it is a joy to watch. The downside to watching this in hi-def is that you see EVERYTHING... all the make up, wood sets, shabby workmenship, etc. but it is minor compared to the breathtaking picture.

Series shot on film will fare very well.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Its coming next week, i think it is. I have my BD on pre-order from warner for $20 and some change. As a matter of fact a few lucky bums got'em early from Warner!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Anyone heard if the canceled show Bionic Woman will turn up on BluRay? I know the show got real bad pretty quick but I want it for the good start and for the performance by Katee Sackhoff. The show was shot in widescreen and aired in HD so the masters must exist... but so far only the DVD version has come out.

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
I've got to say my copy of 'Mad Men' on Blu ray looks absolutely gorgeous and it wasn't expensive. My only complaint is the over noisy pop up menu's.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I'm not sure what is going on in their heads over @ the WB. Someone posted over @ AVSforum that the 'Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles' only uses 27GB of the BD-50. I mean, why not just go all the way and compress the disc some more and give us 384kbps DD 5.1 if you want to go cheap so you can squeeze it on a BD-25? Using Dolby TrueHD would have had absolutely no effect on the placement of extras or video compression as obviously there is plenty of room left over on the BD-50. Even if the quality of the original audio stems would not have allowed for an appreciable audio difference over 640kbps DD 5.1, from a marketing standpoint I certainly do not see how TrueHD audio would have hurt sales any. This title was a blind buy for me (i.e. I had it pre-ordered) until I found out about the audio being only DD 5.1. Now I will wait for a sale, or perhaps skip it entirely.

Sorry for beating a dead horse but the wasted disc space really irks me.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Was there some special deal on this? I checked the Warner site and it's currently $29.99. I would LOVE to get this for $20.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks