1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TV Shows needing a decent Re-Release?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnHopper, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Message #101 of 176 Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    I agree that the 1st season of Father Knows Best needs to be reissued on DVD with all uncut episodes, if indeed the uncut shows still all exist. The main reason I've kept my set of season 1 is because of the bonus feature, the premier episode of Window On Main Street. The episode also has the original commercials which is an additional bonus.

MatthewA, Gary OS and Jeff Flugel like this.
  2. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Cinematographer

Blame Jack Webb- those loud horns!!!!

Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  3. Message #103 of 176 Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Some vintage high profile series that are well-restored by CBS contain some various issues so HD releases are needed:
    The Wild Wild West: see the unrestored season 4 “The Night of the Plague” and a small scene from the season 1 “The Night of the Deadly Bed”.
    Mannix: see the unrestored season 7 "The Deadly Madonna" and the unrestored season 8 "Walk on the Blind Side" and part of "Death has No Face".
    Hawaii Five-O: a missing season 2 “Bored, She Hung Herself".​

4. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Some vintage high profile series that are well-restored by CBS contain some subtitles issues:
    The Wild Wild West: the four seasons only feature CC.
    Mannix: the first season features CC and the rest is English SDH.
    Mission: Impossible: the first season features CC and the rest is English SDH.​

5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    And worse, The Brady Bunch is CC-only, while The Twilight Zone has neither CC nor subtitles!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. John*Wells

John*Wells Screenwriter

John
    Silk Stalkings .. Seasons 1-5 were released by Anchor Bay (which no longer exists) Seasons 6-8 were released by mill creek

7. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Supporting Actor

James Beer
    In another thread, it is said that Universal is digitizing their entire library, so there's hope of seeing these shows in HD quality!

8. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

I hope I can watch a pristine edition of The Name of the Game.

9. Duane Alford

Duane Alford Second Unit

Don't know if it's been listed, but I'll say Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I bought the complete series years ago, I'm just now getting around the watching it, and I've had to replace both first season volumes because the very first episode wouldn't play, and disc 3 in the second volume wouldn't play. I've had a few other episodes freeze in seasons 2 and 3, but at least they would continue playing.

Gary OS, Darby67, Jeff Flugel and 2 others like this.
  10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I'd purchase VTTBOTS in a heartbeat should it be released again on SS discs. After finally obtaining sets that's play long ago I discovered a couple of years back the ones I have have started to fail. At least one S2 episode will no longer play and I'm sure there are others. I just don't have the heart to check and see.

Gary OS, Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  11. Purple Wig

Purple Wig Stunt Coordinator

Alan
    I've been able to enjoy both Monroes and Sonnett even as is, but a few of the Sonnetts really are chopped beyond comprehension. There was an episode where I found myself unable to figure out what happened. Thinking maybe I hadn't been paying attention, I started it over and still couldn't follow it.

Harry-N and Jeff Flugel like this.
  12. Message #112 of 176 Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    RocketRobz

RocketRobz Auditioning

Rojelio Reyes
    I would like to see Bewitched get a re-release, and not just on DVD, but on Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray as well.
    I want to see the original opening intros and music restored.
    I even have a petition written here to get it released on Blu-ray.

The current DVD release by Sony, as I heard, is mediocre, and I can see why. There's not a lot of special features, and the colors seem less vibrant, compared to the HD version.
    And as far as I know, the Mill Creek DVD release is bad in terms of picture quality.

Why a 4K release, you may ask?
    It's been reported here on October of last year, that Japan's NHK is remastering both Columbo and Bewitched in 4K, and those would probably be only airing there.
    I think it would be interesting to see a TV series from the 60s/70s remastered in 4K.

13. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Screenwriter

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    The Frasier series doesn’t have chapter stops either. This is a series I’d like to see get spruced up and released on BluRay (in my opinion, the video seems a bit blurry, with washed out colors).

Talking about video releases that have music substitutions, I know of one episode that a joke is completely ruined by a replacement song. In Cheers, season 9 (the Grease episode), the song “I Fought The Law” couldn’t be carried over to the DVD release, and a funny joke is lost forever.

Rob_Ray likes this.
  14. Sky King

Sky King Second Unit

John
    If any shows in my collection needed a decent re release, my first choice would be The Adventures Of Superman. 35mm negatives do exist, though in varying condition. I'm sure there are some that need less restorative work than others and a best of edition could be released...some from the B/W years and some from the color. I'm not even talking Blu ray, just a decent HD release.
    I know this is a pipe dream as Warner Brothers is too cheap to even consider a restored release.

Gary OS and Jeff Flugel like this.
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    So it is for me! That's why the releases from VEI of Canada of CBS-owned series like Petrocelli and The Powers of Matthew Star (both from Paramount Television, and both on NBC, the first in the 70s, the other in the 80s) are well worth the money: because they are authentic to their times about Paramount's insignias (Split Box/Blue Mtn. on Petrocelli, and standard/tall-peaked Blue Mtns. on Matthew Star).

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  16. matinee nostalgia

matinee nostalgia Auditioning

Maurice
    For my part I'd prefer to see new DVD releases of vintage TV shows (50's and 60's) that were not available before than seing any upgrade.

MatthewA and Jeff Flugel like this.
  17. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    For me, here's what I would want re-released on DVD...

To be reissued by Shout! Factory:
    The Andy Griffith Show (1960-1968), in particular the episode "The Darlings are Coming"
    Petticoat Junction (1963-1970)
    The Odd Couple (1970-1975)
    Happy Days (1974-1984)
    Laverne & Shirley (1976-1983)
    Mork & Mindy (1978-1982)
    Bosom Buddies (1980-1982)
    Family Ties (1982-1989)
    Cheers (1982-1993)
    All of the above: to restore licensed songs

~Ben

Jeff Flugel, bmasters9 and RocketRobz like this.
  18. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

It's not gonna happen, but I'll say Lexx. I own/have owned several different releases: UK Contender, CAN/US Koch/Acorn, AUS Force/Beyond Entertainment, and the CAN Alliance sets (not the later, fewer-disc sets), and they all are a mess as far as visible compression artifacts go.

Lexx was an earlier DVD release, and could use a modern re-encoding (with more modern codecs). Heck, standard definition encoded for blu-ray would even be a huge improvement (to avoid the crummy MPEG-2), but this is never going to happen. This show is "catalog" now, only had a cult following to begin with, and will now only ever be a $5.00 bargain bin title. So sad.

19. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Maybe, maybe not. Remember, Shazam! got an HD restoration, and even though it's entirely in colour, it's a much lower-profile show (and main character) than Superman. Could end up being like Shazam! in that DC's streaming app could get first crack at it. Sure, WB probably wouldn't release a blu-ray, but Warner Archive might if they were given the chance.

20. Message #120 of 176 Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    On the subject of Mannix, I suspect that the 7th season episode "A Way To Dusty Death" might have a scene cut because the episode runs only 48:50 on the DVD while other season 7 episodes are in the 49:30 range.

bmasters9 likes this.