What's new

TV Shows needing a decent Re-Release? (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Lower quality older transfers with original logos IMO are not superior to uncut remastered episodes that don't have them.

It doesn't matter to me that the way I first experienced "Hogan's Heroes" in syndication with the Viacom "pinball" tag is not how I'll be able to see them on DVD (likewise, my first exposure to "Flintstones" was with the Screen Gems "dancing sticks" tag). I have fond memories of those but they are not what the show is about.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Lower quality older transfers with original logos IMO are not superior to uncut remastered episodes that don't have them.

It doesn't matter to me that the way I first experienced "Hogan's Heroes" in syndication with the Viacom "pinball" tag is not how I'll be able to see them on DVD (likewise, my first exposure to "Flintstones" was with the Screen Gems "dancing sticks" tag). I have fond memories of those but they are not what the show is about.

So basically, you'd take Petrocelli even w/the CBSTD logo of now (if it were released that way direct from CBS)?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

I like to watch older shows with a filter of nostalgia on them. I tend to favor my laserdiscs of Star Trek over the blu-rays for the sound mix and the feel of it being how i remember it. I kept all of my 16mm transferred VHS tapes of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea because of the network and sponsor tags and it brings back a great feeling of "being there." It's part of the fun for me. While I enjoy and often watch the pristine transfers of these shows, I very often go back to the lower res copies for all around enjoyment. As far as logos, for shows like IDOJ, the Screen Gems logo is PART of the show for me. To go from the end credits to the Sony logo is always a let down for me. I'm getting old and my eyes aren't what they used to be, and I really don't need to see every stitch of clothing or toupee seam.

But we all have our preferences.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet really need a re-release. Never gonna happen, but it needs to.

Gary "the one serious empty spot in my collection is a lack of complete, restored Ozzie & Harriet boxed sets" O.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet really need a re-release. Never gonna happen, but it needs to.

Gary "the one serious empty spot in my collection is a lack of complete, restored Ozzie & Harriet boxed sets" O.

I found this on Wikipedia about a future Blu-ray release.

The Rick Nelson Company, LLC, currently owns the rights to the original film elements. An officially released video version of The Best of the Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet was released May 1, 2007, by Shout! Factory under license from The Rick Nelson Company. Both the Nelson company and David Nelson's trust hold copyright ownership for any new material derived from the film elements. Rick Nelson's son, Sam Nelson, currently heads a project to digitize all 435 episodes from the original 35mm network negatives and will include the series' original commercials. The collection's release on DVD/Blu-ray has, as of the present, yet to be announced.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I found this on Wikipedia about a future Blu-ray release.

The Rick Nelson Company, LLC, currently owns the rights to the original film elements. An officially released video version of The Best of the Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet was released May 1, 2007, by Shout! Factory under license from The Rick Nelson Company. Both the Nelson company and David Nelson's trust hold copyright ownership for any new material derived from the film elements. Rick Nelson's son, Sam Nelson, currently heads a project to digitize all 435 episodes from the original 35mm network negatives and will include the series' original commercials. The collection's release on DVD/Blu-ray has, as of the present, yet to be announced.
And his project has been running since Sept. 2011 via a Kickstarter with zero results.

See more in this thread:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/ozzie-harriet.308732/#post-3742841

Call me when Hell freezes over... maybe we'll have something by then, but I'm not holding my breath.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
And you can say the same thing for THE GUNS OF WILL SONNETT. And just like with BRANDED, it could use re-mastering onto HD by CBSTD!

Yes! Both of those shows don't even look like a direct 16mm to DVD transfer - which I'd take! They look like they've been rotting on VHS tapes in my damp basement for years before making their way to DVD. Truly the worst I've seen.

But add It Takes a Thief to my list. I Spy could use a new transfer too, but I'm sure the recent reversal of fortune for Bill Cosby has made this a longshot.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I recently bought the complete series of It Takes A Thief, some episodes have visible dirt and debris while others have faded colors. But on the positive side, the episodes are uncut and include the "Universal City" bumpers after the closing credits. I agree that the video quality of the episodes could be a little better but overall I'm satisfied with the set.

The Joey Bishop Show sitcom needs released again as a complete series because the set that was released last year is garbage with edited episodes. The series needs to be released on DVD again and this time with the uncut episodes. In 2004, Questar released the 2nd season on DVD and that set has uncut episodes. It's unfortunate that Questar stopped with season 2 and didn't release the other seasons.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'd love to the the "edited on video" last few seasons of the orignal Dallas get restruck and looking less like a cheap soap and more like the filmed network series it was. But that is a pipe dream.

Shows from from the late 80's well into the 90's really look like crap. The Mission Impossible Revival, Matlock, Walker Texas Ranger and SeaQuest really suffer from that.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I recently bought the complete series of It Takes A Thief, some episodes have visible dirt and debris while others have faded colors. But on the positive side, the episodes are uncut and include the "Universal City" bumpers after the closing credits. I agree that the video quality of the episodes could be a little better but overall I'm satisfied with the set.

The Joey Bishop Show sitcom needs released again as a complete series because the set that was released last year is garbage with edited episodes. The series needs to be released on DVD again and this time with the uncut episodes. In 2004, Questar released the 2nd season on DVD and that set has uncut episodes. It's unfortunate that Questar stopped with season 2 and didn't release the other seasons.

Agree it needs a reissue though the one flaw with the Questar set was they removed the opening credits and you could only see it once when you loaded in a disc. Unlike studio tags, the main title of a show is an integral part of it and should be retained on all episodes.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd like a new version of Due South. The only domestic version was a set of horribly compressed DVD's from Echo Bridge, which crammed 68 hour-long episodes onto only 11 discs (7 episodes on a single disc, in some cases).

Not sure if the Network DVD release in UK is any better, though they did spread them out a bit over more discs.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
It was not restored and it showed on the picture quality.

I'm sure they used the circa-1990 master tapes that were struck for the TNT reruns as that was quick and simple (and reasonable-looking enough--certainly better than than the 1990 off-TNT VHS tapes and earlier multi-generation off-CBS tapes I had).

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Agree it needs a reissue though the one flaw with the Questar set was they removed the opening credits and you could only see it once when you loaded in a disc. Unlike studio tags, the main title of a show is an integral part of it and should be retained on all episodes.

Yes that's the main issue with Questar's season 2 DVD, the opening credits are removed from the episodes. But I overlook this flaw since otherwise the episodes are uncut. There is one episode, "Joey's House Guest", that has a little bit missing at the beginning but the others are complete.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Harry O. My feeling is, it did quite well for WAC but it really deserved a WB release that would include subtitles and above all be HD remastered, hopefully. A Blu-ray release may be a wild dream, so HD DVD would do nicely too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks