What's new

TV Shows in MGM's 2nd wave of MOD (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_mankiewicz_lumet_russell_RfvY5kV2vS7gXdQkcyoB2J

Television Series
  • “Flipper” Season 2 (1964) Brian Kelly, Luke Halpin, Tommy Norden
  • “Flipper - The New Adventures” Season 1 (1995) Jessica Alba, Brian Wimmer, Colleen Flynn
  • “Highway Patrol” Season 1 (1955) Broderick Crawford
  • “Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot” Complete Series (1969) Kaneko Mitsunobu, Akio Itô, Shôzaburô Date
No surprised here, since they've had these available streaming on line for some time.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Assuming single layer discs here, just how many would it take for Flipper season 2? Considering how gorgeous season 1 turned out, getting a stack of burnt discs for season 2 is quite a comedown. I suppose it's better than nothing.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Cool. I'm in for Flipper S2 and Highway Patrol S1 as long as the pricing isn't too extreme.

Gary "this will be an interesting and important 'experiment' - adding TV shows to an Archive like program" O.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Highway Patrol coming out is huge news, and bodes well for the rest of the ZIV library.

There's box art over at DVD Aficionado for these releases that lists the number of discs: 8 for Flipper S-2, 11 discs for Flipper's New Adventures S-1 (it was an hour show), 10 discs for Highway Patrol, and seven for Johnny Socko. No pricing or release date information yet. The dvdaf.com listings link to amazon where you can be signed up to be notified of the release.

Flipper S-2 and S-3 are out on pressed discs in Germany in 2 disc, four episode sets for around $32.00 each plus shipping.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
You're right, Bob. This is huge news and I agree that it gives us hope for some of the great Ziv material. Keeping my fingers crossed that more will be coming. Of course the key continues to be the price-point for these sets. Right now Amazon doesn't list the price, something I imagine MGM is working on and thinking about carefully. I'm just hoping we can see these come in at or around the $40 range, although I'd pay a bit higher for the original Flipper S2 as well as Highway Patrol S1.

Gary "at least the disc count for each set sounds about right - we shouldn't be getting too much compression if they are keeping these to about 2 hours per DVD-R disc" O.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Interesting that all the TV titles are ones that have been available for viewing on line for some time now. Stuff they alreafy had on hand.

I wonder when BAT MASTERSON Season 1 and SEA HUNT Season 1 will be offered.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Very interesting development. Although I notice that they are only offering up MGM owned titles and no Fox ones. Likely because Fox has mistreated its back catalogue so much that it doesn't have any decent available copies of any of its own shows. It would be great to see Science Fiction Theatre come out and we know they were remastered for SciFi Channel in the 90s. I would imagine Sea Hunt will be coming pretty soon as well. Personally, I would love to see shows like Double Life of Henry Phyfe and The Debbie Reynolds Show but I'm not holding my breath that those will come any time soon.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I just wanted to put in another vote for "Science Fiction Theatre" in case the decision makers pay attention to what's said on this forum (which they should, if they don't!)

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Not many people have commented on Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot. I wonder how widely this was shone back when it came out? I think I saw it in the beginning of the 1970's in Philadelphia. This was a very enjoyable Japanese monster/sci fi show. Children who watched it then still remember it fondly. I will definitely buy this one. Some years ago they came out with Ultraman the original series. What is the chance of eventually getting, The Space Giants?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by dhammer

....What is the chance of eventually getting, The Space Giants?....
I heard there's rights and trademark issues with the property.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher

I'm definitely down for HIGHWAY PATROL. Other ZIV productions I'd like to see include I LED THREE LIVES and SEA HUNT.
Would love to see Sea Hunt on dvd.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I never got around to commenting on this thread, but I'm frankly quite ecstatic about the prospect of "Highway Patrol." Of course, I'm an irredeemable Ziv-aholic. I don't think they made a single series I haven't found myself liking, down to lower-profile stuff like "Harbormaster." Still quite a few Ziv items out there I haven't seen, though, like "King of Diamonds" and that "Aquanauts" thing (which I 'think' is Ziv).

Oh, and I'll definately be getting "Flipper" too!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
^^
Highway Patrol sounds interesting. I don't remember it but Dad watched it when it aired.

Flipper S2 is tempting but it will depend on the price for me.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by mdnitoil

Assuming single layer discs here, just how many would it take for Flipper season 2? Considering how gorgeous season 1 turned out, getting a stack of burnt discs for season 2 is quite a comedown. I suppose it's better than nothing.
Flipper was a half hour show (24min roughly) so it would take about the same number of discs as a 1 hour show at roughly the same bit rate. Assuming they have 25 to 30 episodes per season. However I don't see any reason why they couldn't put them on double layer discs.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks