1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TV shows and TV movies gone W I D E

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by UHDvision, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Scott511

Scott511 Second Unit

Scott
    Maybe because the Walmart buyer didn't think it was important to stock it.

Around the time the original Battlestar Galactica hit DVD, I was in a local Walmart looking for that set and something else. Too many years have passed and I can't remember the other TV series title, but a employee standing in the DVD section asked me if I needed help. I told her what I was looking for and she said they didn't have it. Her reply: "I'm the buyer for this store, and I had never heard of that TV show so I didn't order any". she went on to say "I've made a mistake with that one, you are the 2nd person today that have asked about it"

I hate to think over the years badly selling titles sold that way just because buyers at stores didn't recognize the TV series name. :wacko:

Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    "Walmart buyer" meaning the person who purchases copies of the release for stock at Walmart, I take it?

3. Scott511

Scott511 Second Unit

Scott
    Yes, correct. At least for the local store that I was in.

I have no idea if each Walmart has their own buyer, or if one buyer selects titles for several stores etc.

4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Those *all* look like they were shot WS with 4:3 protection. Head room is, for all practical purposes, identical with no loss on the bottom of the frame either. That pretty much means they were WS and cropped for 4:3 broadcast. Someone on the production team was thinking properly on this one. And it looks like they've done come color correction as well. It's a shame the WS versions will likely go unreleased on physical media.

Jeff Flugel, RocketRobz and Blimpoy06 like this.
  5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    That's interesting. Based on what I've seen here, it's a 3rd party doing all the stocking and title selection.

Even it it's local buyers I'm not at all surprised about lack of product knowledge. To be a "buyer" of media means you have to be aware of your clientele, the entire history of film/TV, and willing to apply that knowledge to purchasing what will likely sell at any given store. I'd bet most are recent grads who have a degree in "marketing" or such with little to no knowledge of "catalog" type product.

6. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

What I thought was even more interesting on those screengrabs of Charmed was the very noticeable color shift (look a the color of the blouse on the girl in the middle of the frame). Anybody know which color grade is more "correct"?

7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ^It's everything. The older, 4:3, shots are "warmer" with the WS skewed towards green. Look at the walls too. It looks to be following the current trend in "colder" color rendering. The last pair of shots don't exhibit that adjustment. I'd guess the cooler colors are correct simply because of the color on the curtains (looks reddish in the 4:3 shots but white in the WS) - but either looks OK if you don't have a reference.

That "girl in the middle of the frame" is Alyssa Milano.

Jeff Flugel and Blimpoy06 like this.
  8. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    Those WS screengrabs from the Charmed Blu-Ray set that Darin posted on the previous page look great! I agree with Howie, that the color is likely more correct in the WS version, judging from the top and middle screen captures, looking at Milano's blouse and especially the curtains, which are too pinkish in the 4:3. The WS is "cooler," but not egregiously so. The show definitely seems to have been shot widescreen originally, or at least framed to work for both 16:9 and 4:3, as you say. The headroom looks perfect on the WS version, but things look a little too cramped in the 4:3.

I'm not usually interested in buying sets that aren't in the OAR, but this is one case where the widescreen version seems to actually be the "correct" one. Hopefully that set sells well enough to encourage the studio to release further seasons.

RocketRobz likes this.
  9. UHDvision

UHDvision Screenwriter

David
    I read that the show La Femme Nikita (Canadian show by the Team of 24 from 1997) was also shot widescreen but cropped for network, as were all the shows by the same company.
    Sadly I doubt it will ever be released in widescreen one day.
    For 24 they recycled many ideas and storylines from that show.

10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    What do you mean by being aware of your clientele (the first part of what you said)?

11. Message #471 of 516 Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Know your customer's likes, dislikes, and purchasing history. Know your area, what normally sells, and what sits on the shelves for months barely moving a copy.

For example: Around here things that are more traditional sell well. Beverly Hillbillies, Westerns (any type as long as it's from the 60s or earlier), classic cop shows, and classic comedies all sell out quickly. If I read about some of those type titles showing up at a WM I have to check almost daily to snag a copy as they'll usually sell out within a few days and rarely receive a restock. You'd think those quick selling titles would receive restocks but they rarely do.

At one store here I've actually seen a layer of dust on newer TV series with maybe a single copy sold (based on what's still in the slot) yet that slot with a classic western or comedy next to it is empty.

12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Which is why I should have gotten Universal's new A-Team all-in-one when Wal-Mart first had it-- it sold out, and hasn't been back since; I might have to get it from Amazon next month.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  13. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    I wonder why most of these complete sets Walmart sells are not available online? My local Walmart has several of the A-Team sets on the shelf. There must be a supply out there somewhere.

14. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    There probably is-- maybe the one in my area has more in their inventory, but just, for one reason or another, has not restocked; it's baffling that yours has several more available in stock, and mine doesn't.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  15. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Blimpoy06 likes this.
  16. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Amazon Prime now has the first two seasons of Cagney & Lacey in HD 16X9 widescreen. Seasons 3-6 are still SD 4X3.

17. MBrousseau

MBrousseau Stunt Coordinator

Martin Brousseau
    Bewitched 16x9. Now that Bewitched (1964) has been remastered in HD and showing on streaming channels and aps like The Roku Channel in the US and CTV.CA in Canada, we are now having a widescreen presentation. Of course, it's a cropped 16:9 adaptation of the frame. But I have made a comparison using episodes "Daddy Comes to Visit" & "Darrin The Warlock" . In the second episode, Maurice is showing Samantha a clip from the first episode using a projection on the fridge. You can see that in the first picture on the top.
    In the center, I've put a 16:9 proposition using the to picture on fridge, I have carefully respected the left and right edges so that I could used maximum width as possible Then, I cropped top and bottom to get a 16:9 frame. A rather satisfying widescreen adaptation.
    The third picture at the bottom is the official 16:9 showing on Roku and CTV. As you can see, they have not taken the maximum width available on film negative. Therefore, the is not much room left above Darrin's head and we miss part of his left foot. That's too bad. I hope we get a full frame (4:3) of Bewitched soon on Blu-ray!

Jack K and RocketRobz like this.
  18. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    That's why, if I want to watch "classic TV" in WS, I'd just as soon do it myself using my TV. Mine has a "zoom" function that brings a 4:3 image to the sides with the vertical centered. If needed you can adjust the image up/down to correct head room that's too tight. That process only works on old style 4:3 formatted material. 4:3 product on BR? Can't be done on my set. It also doesn't bother me as most of the shows I'll zoom for faux WS are those I like but don't love. Favorites are always watched OAR.

Jack K likes this.
  19. UHDvision

UHDvision Screenwriter

David
    Wow that official 16/9 version is tight, at least on that shot.

You can also do the same with Remington Steele as the opening credits shows the full frame in a cinema.

I love Bewitched, but the series deserve a good remastering, not the rush job kind with approximative cropping.

RocketRobz likes this.
  20. RocketRobz

RocketRobz Auditioning

Rojelio Reyes
    Since Bewitched has been brought up...

Tabitha (close-up).

The spin-off series, Tabitha, is also in 16:9, as well as HD, on CTV Throwback.
    I don't have the series on DVD, so I can't compare it with the original 4:3 version.

MBrousseau likes this.