1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TV shows and TV movies gone W I D E

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by UHDvision, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    As there doesn't appear to be a thread for this new Blu-ray release, I'll post it here. A Tale of Two Cities (1980) has just been released on Blu-ray by Shout! Factory. This made-for-TV movie has been reformatted into 16X9 Widescreen. It actually looks pretty darn good. There is no noticeable cropping. While I don't have an original format to compare it to, I would imagine that they probably harvested some extra image from the sides of the original film elements. The end credits have lots of space on the sides.

[​IMG]

Bryan^H and UHDvision like this.
  2. UHDvision

UHDvision Screenwriter

David
    Will add it to the list, thank you.

3. Tom M

Tom M Stunt Coordinator

I recently discovered that itunes has the following miniseries converted to widescreen:

Roots (1977)
    Roots: The Next Generations
    Roots: The Gift

North And South
    North And South: Book II

I don't have the itunes version of Roots, just the 4:3 Blu-Ray so I cannot say how cropped they are, but the previews look good from what I can tell.

I downloaded the North And South trilogy this weekend. Only the first two miniseries are in widescreen. Book III remains in 4:3, probably due to the opening titles being done on video though the rest of the show looks to have been finished on film.

I compared some scenes of the first two N&S minis with the 4:3 DVDs. Basically, there is more side information while the top and bottom are cropped. It looks well done for the most part though I did see some tightness in the vertical framing in some of the scenes I compared. My guess is that 1.66:1 would've been perfect.

MatthewA likes this.
  4. Message #424 of 516 Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    UHDvision

UHDvision Screenwriter

David
    The Wild Wild crop!

Read some reports that The Wild Wild West is currently airing on HD channels in Europe in widescreen. Anyone has seen or recorded them in the US? Some captures would be nice.

Checked out an original cell from the show and the actual DVD. Center white frame bordered is an actual capture from the DVD, behind is the original cell. The transfers on the current DVDs are cropped, to actual SMPTE TV transmission specs from the sixties. Like many other shows now, it is possible by re-transfering the series, and capturing all the left/right information, to produce 14/9 or 16/9 masters. Part of the cell was missing in Sue Kesler book, (left side) so I took the liberty of expanding it so that you get the complete idea of what the original TV captured frame was. (Obviously the animated credits were produced to actual filmed footage proportions).

[​IMG]

Brent Reid likes this.
  5. UHDvision

UHDvision Screenwriter

David
    So I just got a subscription to HD channels... It's weird, I see episodes of A-Team in widescreen airing all day long.
    However Columbo from the 90's that were released on DVD in widescreen, still air in 4/3. Guess french channels are using whatever master they have on file.

6. UHDvision

UHDvision Screenwriter

David
    The Avengers Season 5 now airs in 1.78:1 on french Paris Premiere television channel.

The redid the opening credits adding an horrible title card in french with a totally wrong font, otherwise these are the same masters as the Blu-ray, but cropped.

The headlines are perfect on about 95% of the shots, with the camera moves to keep the heads in the frame now looking totally natural, it only look tight on the shots or scenes where the people in charge of the remaster zoomed on all four sides to mask obvious microphones and camera feets.

Darby67 likes this.
  7. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I noticed last weekend Amazon Prime is offering Charlie's Angels in 16x9. I'm tempted to spend $1.99 to buy an episode just to see how good or bad they are.

8. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Cozi ran them in 16:9 and they looked good but MeTV is running them 4:3 but zoomed to a wider AR.

9. UHDvision

UHDvision Screenwriter

David
    I see lots of A-Team episodes on French HDTV, the framing bizarrely, is too high in the frame in most episodes.

You can tell because there is always to much top over the heads, which sometimes translate in something not seen bottom frame. These looks like they were done blind, with the same setting on all episodes.

Why not do it right? I suppose those transfers were done when Stephen J. Cannell was still alive, over a decade ago, and he was cheap when transfering his shows on HD/DVD.

10. Ron1973

I would have guessed it was Universal doing the transfers, but I could be mistaken. Netflix ran it in HD along with quite a few other Universal shows in 4:3 framing, and they looked just as sharp and natural as something filmed yesterday.

11. UHDvision

UHDvision Screenwriter

David
    In this case, 4/3 is preferable. A widescreen conversion is pleasing only if it's done right.

Brent Reid and bmasters9 like this.
  12. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    UHDvision likes this.
  13. UHDvision

UHDvision Screenwriter

David
    300 songs replaced wow... I wonder if they did that to keep it current, or because the old contracts didn't include high-def and licensing them all again would have cost too much time and money.

14. Message #434 of 516 Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Has anyone bought the new HD M*A*S*H series on iTunes yet? Are the alternate soundtracks without the laugh track included?

AC61BBB7-E94C-4756-AB53-C6BE2A9E4841.

15. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’ve seen a few on Hulu - they’re all there. The Hulu versions only have the English audio with the laugh track, which I don’t really enjoy. I also wasn’t thrilled with the 16x9 cropping. The ones I saw looked just a bit too tight. I’m sticking with my DVDs for the time being.

16. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I could only check out the 30 sec clip they have the laugh track, that doesn’t bother me they look great and seemed framed ok but still why can’t we get HD in OAR they did it for Trek and Mash is as classic, that being said I’ll wait for n iTunes deal if I can get the series for $50 or less I’ll grab it

17. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I bought the pilot and it does look a lot better than the dvds the framing isn’t terrible, not sure if the filmed the pilot with any extra room on the side but height wise it’s ok , I’ll wait till the complete series gets a sale price if I can snag it for 50 or less that would be ok

18. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Thanks for being the guinea pig. Since you bought the pilot, can you confirm that an alternate soundtrack isn’t available? You should be able to navigate to the audio selections to see what’s available.

19. Ron1973

What I watched on Hulu this weekend (1st season 7 or 8 episodes) was FULL SCREEN and HD. Nothing was cropped nor did it look like it was "stretched" to fill the screen. The pq was on par with Star Trek TOS or or any other hi-def remastered series, but it was full screen. Any other shows of that era are the normal 4x3.

20. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    The ones I saw - either 4th or 6th season - were definitely new HD versions cropped to 16x9.

Perhaps they have the HD and SD versions listed in separate places.