What's new

TV show graveyard: (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Though derivative, they were quality shows that did survive for several years.

It's not like the shows listed here were all unique. I watched "Sliders", and it's from the "Quantum Leap" and "Gilligan's Island" formula. "Lone Gunmen" is a spinoff from "The X-Files". My most missed show (for now), "John Doe" is from the "X-Files" and "Alias" category.

No doubt lots of interesting shows are killed, to our disappointment. But I can't agree that "Any show that require or incites a spark of cerebral activity is immediately cancelled." A glance at TV Guide shows otherwise.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to add "Hidden Hills" to the list. Original, funny, no laugh track, great cast and a hot leading lady in Paula Marshall.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not really. Fox has been the only network consistently programming a lot of unusual/sci-fi/cutting-edge stuff for the past ten years. These types of shows create a more passionate (if smaller) audience than NBC's latest "single guy in an apartment he can't afford" sitcom or CBS's latest hospital drama. Pretty much all the networks create and cancel shows at the same rate; Fox just happens to come up with memorable ones.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson

Marc, has Street Time really been cancelled? Where did you hear that? That would indeed be a shame.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson

Have you ever seen The Simpsons? That is probably the most cerebral show on that list.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Besides some of those mentioned already, two more Fox shows: The Tick and Get Real.

Rob

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator

If these shows are dead, they probably don't have official websites anymore.

However, tvtome.com is a good place to look them up if you want specific information about any.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
A lot have already been mentioned, so please forgive the repetition, just found the thread :D
Dark Angel
Tick
Freaks and Geeks
Farscape
Lone Gunmen
Wonderfalls
Firefly
Miracles
John Doe
GvsE
Andy Richter Controls the universe

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Grosse Point (the 90210 spoof on WB)
Welcome to New York (with Jim Gaffigan on CBS)

And yes, I don't know why they cancelled Andy Richter.

Did anyone watch the short-lived 1997 series Nothing Sacred? It was about a Catholic priest struggling with his calling. The priest often came across as whiny, but the show intelligently dealt with a lot of religious and social issues. It received some backlash from the Catholic League and other religious groups and met a quick demise...

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for mentioning Welcome To New York. Jim Gaffigan was great and I'm glad he's found work on That 70s Show.

I'd also like to add:

Quark (1970's SciFi sit com with Richard Benjamin)

I'm sure if I looked at a history of TV I could find hundreds of examples of great cancelled shows, but my mind is a bit blank at the moment.

Robert Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Watson
Trinity: I wished that it had a full season instead of cancelling after four episodes. Though I managed to see seven episodes from a private collector. It is too bad that the public wasn't ready for a drama about an Irish-American family.

Central Park West: While it wasn't the best show that Darren Star had created, I thought that the first three episodes were good. Other than that, the storylines could have been better.

Relativity: Again, the public wasn't ready for a kind of show where you had a lesbian dealing with her dating issues, an adulterous wife who was sleeping with the car salesman, etc. The show had some great ideas.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
On a quick note about Miracles. The show was cancelled because an Exec at ABC wasn't comfortable with the subject. By, the way I happen to see the unaired episodes of both Miracles and Veritas:The Quest. Both shows were very good and Veritas was really setting up some very a interesting backstory and setup for the future.

BrianBr

Agent
I never got over the fact that the studios/networks cancelled Time Trax but kept Kung Fu: The Lengend Continues!

-Brian

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator
John Doe!!! (I still can't believe Fox ditched it. :angry: Nice to see that other people miss it, though.)

Hope Island
Early Edition
Nash Bridges
Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction

Anyone remember "Sons of Thunder"? It was a spin-off of Walker: Texas Ranger, but it was better than Walker. They only aired 2 or 3 episodes, but I liked it. Of course, trust CBS to cancel anything good.

And coming into more recent stuff...
The Guardian (I'm still mad CBS killed this!)
The District (Wasn't my fav, but was something to watch)
Hack (This was something different, and I liked it)
Notice these 3 are all CBS casualties....

Sigh.......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks