TV show graveyard:

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Eric_L, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

While watching the most recent episode of Wonder Falls my wife and I decided that it is a great show - and therefore doomed to be cancelled.

Television execs have a bad history of doing this. Any show that require or incites a spark of cerebral activity is immediately cancelled. "That sort of stuff is for the cable channels" execs rationalize - then wonder why the cable channels are 'mysteriously' taking audience share...

So they churn out the tripe that is reality television and shows full of endless fart and other body function jokes. It is a race to the lowest common denominator.

One show that almost was cancelled was 'X-Files'. Were it not for an aggressive response from a limited fan base it never would have lived to see the glory it eventually enjoyed.

Here are a few deserving shows that were not so lucky:
    (IMHO)
    1) Freaks and Geeks
    2) Space: Above and Beyond
    3) Key West

Please post your disappointments here, or share in my grief over the loss of these other great shows.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Actually, the fanbase of the show airing before it, Brisco County Junior, was far more voiciferous. The X-Files, though, had audience numbers going in the right direction.

3. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Farscape
    Ez Streets
    John Doe

4. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

Boomtown
    Street Time
    Line of Fire (not sure if it's coming back)

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Dark Angel, Lone Gunman, and Firefly are few more that I thought should of been kept around longer but why, oh why Sliders (they kept this over Above and Beyond!)?

6. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I wish they would have left Sliders alone instead of mutilating it beyond all recognition. [​IMG]

7. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

"Miracles" was my fav of 2003 (spring mid-season launch). I think it only aired ~6 eps before cancellation due to "weak" ratings.
    They neglect to tell you that they tried to launch it just as the war in Iraq was beginning and programmers kept pre-empting & moving early shows in order to air specials ... thus, the 6 eps aired inconsistently over something like 9-10 weeks.
    ...Then, they wonder why they failed to buid a regular fan base.

In fact there are actually 7 additional completed eps (13 total) that never aired in the USA. They were however, rather popular in Canada, UK, Australia, etc., where all eps aired in sequence.

The Miracles Campaign

8. Jasmine Meathe

Jasmine Meathe Stunt Coordinator

The Flash
    Viper

9. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

There's been a couple that now share graves in the TV Cemetary.

Brimstone - This is my number one lost show that I miss constently. I loved Brimstone and I pray that WB releases it on DVD someday.

Keen Eddie

Dragnet

Glory Days

Do Over

Teen Angel

You Wish

Oppisite Sex

10. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

My So-Called Life

11. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Andy Richter Controls The Universe
    G vs. E (aka Good versus Evil)
    Thieves

and ditto to:

Boomtown
    Firefly
    Freaks & Geeks
    Brisco County Jr.
    My So Called Life

12. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Stunt Coordinator

I agree with all the shows named and I would like to add Millennium. they could have given us a mini season to actually end the show properly.

13. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Millennium is a great show. I stumbled upon a message board for fans of Millennium, This Is Who we Are.
    http://www.millenniumdesktop.co.uk/tiwwa/

I have been enjoying The Sentinel on Sci-Fi (first time I have ever seen the show).

Total recall 2070 didn't find the audience it deserved and I wish Sci-Fi would pick up the repeats. I want a DVD release of this show (other than the release of "Machine Dreams" to DVD by Dimension).

INVISIBLE MAN
    First Wave
    SOF; Soldier of Fortune/Special ops Force (I wonder why no one has released the 37 episodes to DVD yet)

14. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

Lets not forget about Century City which like Wonderfalls is the recently departed.

15. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

One of my favorites, Probe, was killed by a writers strike.

Also, Space: Above And Beyond should also be mentioned.

Jason

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Except for all the shows that weren't, such as The West Wing, The Practice, Law & Order, Alias, The X-Files, Star Trek: TNG , Star Trek: DS9 , The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Judging Amy, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

But I've lost some good shows to the network executioners.

Sliders (I gather this switched to Showtime or something, but I didn't have cable back then, so it was effectively canceled to me.)

Strange Luck

John Doe [​IMG]

What I find amusing is that many of the "great shows" that "require or incites a spark of cerebral activity" I think are mediocre (at best). (And I'm sure others feel the same way about my listed favorites. Especially "Judging Amy" [​IMG] )

I was excited when Firefly came out, but the first two episodes didn't grab me. I found John Doe much more exciting and compelling initially. But I wonder, if Firefly had been given a couple seasons to find its legs, would it have evolved into a much greater show, like Star Trek:TNG did? And could John Doe have remained exciting and intriguing, or would it have fallen apart after the first season? I guess I'll never know [​IMG]

17. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

While I wouldn't put all of those in the category of 'cerebral' (Simpsons?!) I won't nitpick.

I will point out that some of the more successful ones were either spinoffs from other series (ala Star Trek, which had its share of ratings troubles) or rehashes of some formulas.

A few are good exceptions, such as Seinfeld - which combined intelligence with more banal humor ('the contest') pure GENIOUS!

18. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I will forever miss Fox's "Profit" which I found was a hell of a drama (about a ruthless exec who slept in a cardboard box and murdered his way up the ladder) it just had that dark mentality to it that, if it started airing today, might have a better chance then when it did hit the airwaves [​IMG]

19. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

20. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

ditto to that, I would love to see that show again today, it was real dark and interesting.

ditto to so called life, and freeks and geeks

add to it, homefront and season 2 of david caruso in NYPD Blue