TV Show Cartoon oddities on a WSTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MarkHastings, Apr 28, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

First off:
    [rant]Since I originally had this in the DVD Software section, by post #12 I've come to realize this is probably a TV issue and not a DVD player issue[/rant]

I don't know if this is common on most tvs (or just mine), but anytime I watch a cartoon series (i.e. Futurama, SpongeBob, Family Guy, etc.) I get a strange thing happen when I set my widescreen tv to it's 'standard' mode (i.e. Adding the grey bars to the sides so that the video is 4x3).

Everything seems ok, excpet some colors (mainly the reds and oranges) seem to be jagged. The black lines around a character look ok and other colors don't exhibit this effect, but the reds and oranges almost seems to have a rippled effect. When I have the tv set to its 'normal' mode (where the image fills the screen), then everything looks fine.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Are you seeing chroma noise? This produces a wavy sort of appearance, and mainly afflicts reds. See
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html (towards the very bottom).

If the blacks were affected, then I'd say it was a case of improper flagging, but if they're OK I'd guess chroma is the culprit. Nothing to be done other than buy a different player.

3. MarkHastings

4. Michael St. Clair

It is just artifacts of the downsampling/downscaling that is done with most sets/players when creating a windowboxed image.

5. MarkHastings

6. Michael St. Clair

Yep.

7. MarkHastings

Well, I tried to photograph the rippled effect on my tv. Hopefully the captures show it well enough to see what's happening.

The following is a portion of a frame from "Family Guy" with the tv set to 16x9 (i.e. the image filled the screen):
    [​IMG]

and here's the same frame, with the tv set to 4x3 mode (i.e. the grey bars added to the sides):
    [​IMG]

Hopefully you can make out the stairstepped effect in the orange color.

8. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    maybe your tv needs to be calibrated and the convergence adjusted.

9. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Is this a Mitsubishi set? One of mine does this but only on the builtin tuner. I was able to get rid of it on all interfaces with an ISF calibration. Its a bad case of Chroma Delay. But only in 'narrow' mode.

10. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I had a Mits...did the same thing. I got rid of the TV after 4 trips to the shop. I never found what caused it, and they never fixed it.

11. Michael St. Clair

If this were convergence related it would affect the stretched image as well. From a raster standpoint the TV is almost certainly in the same display mode. Typically a 16:9 HD set only has two sets of convergence settings: 16:9 480p, and 16:9 1080i.

The picture makes it quite apparent (to me) that this problem is originating in the sets digital section.

The set is digitally scaling down the image to display in grey-bar windowboxed mode and this is where the problem likely occurs.

I would strongly suggest contacting the manufacturer and an ISF tech who has worked with the same model of set.

If this thread were in the Display Devices area it probably would have garnered the attention of an ISF tech or two by now.

12. MarkHastings