What's new

TV Show Cartoon oddities on a WSTV (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
First off:
[rant]Since I originally had this in the DVD Software section, by post #12 I've come to realize this is probably a TV issue and not a DVD player issue[/rant]

I don't know if this is common on most tvs (or just mine), but anytime I watch a cartoon series (i.e. Futurama, SpongeBob, Family Guy, etc.) I get a strange thing happen when I set my widescreen tv to it's 'standard' mode (i.e. Adding the grey bars to the sides so that the video is 4x3).

Everything seems ok, excpet some colors (mainly the reds and oranges) seem to be jagged. The black lines around a character look ok and other colors don't exhibit this effect, but the reds and oranges almost seems to have a rippled effect. When I have the tv set to its 'normal' mode (where the image fills the screen), then everything looks fine.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Are you seeing chroma noise? This produces a wavy sort of appearance, and mainly afflicts reds. See
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html (towards the very bottom).

If the blacks were affected, then I'd say it was a case of improper flagging, but if they're OK I'd guess chroma is the culprit. Nothing to be done other than buy a different player.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Are you seeing chroma noise?
That's quite possible. It's wierd how it only does it when I have the tv set to the 4x3 mode and not the 16x9 mode. Although my player is a few years old so maybe it's time for a new one.

I'll see if I can take some digital photos and post them here.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It is just artifacts of the downsampling/downscaling that is done with most sets/players when creating a windowboxed image.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, I tried to photograph the rippled effect on my tv. Hopefully the captures show it well enough to see what's happening.

The following is a portion of a frame from "Family Guy" with the tv set to 16x9 (i.e. the image filled the screen):

and here's the same frame, with the tv set to 4x3 mode (i.e. the grey bars added to the sides):

Hopefully you can make out the stairstepped effect in the orange color.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
maybe your tv needs to be calibrated and the convergence adjusted.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Is this a Mitsubishi set? One of mine does this but only on the builtin tuner. I was able to get rid of it on all interfaces with an ISF calibration. Its a bad case of Chroma Delay. But only in 'narrow' mode.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I had a Mits...did the same thing. I got rid of the TV after 4 trips to the shop. I never found what caused it, and they never fixed it.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If this were convergence related it would affect the stretched image as well. From a raster standpoint the TV is almost certainly in the same display mode. Typically a 16:9 HD set only has two sets of convergence settings: 16:9 480p, and 16:9 1080i.

The picture makes it quite apparent (to me) that this problem is originating in the sets digital section.

The set is digitally scaling down the image to display in grey-bar windowboxed mode and this is where the problem likely occurs.

I would strongly suggest contacting the manufacturer and an ISF tech who has worked with the same model of set.

If this thread were in the Display Devices area it probably would have garnered the attention of an ISF tech or two by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks