TV Set-Ups: A Sad Bose Store Story

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Martin, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Was in Portland, Oregon, this past weekend to visit a friend and his wife. On Saturday afternoon, we were walking around downtown Portland and went into the mall (actually two malls connected by a walkway). I was with 4 other people; the first store we walked by was the Bose store, and we were sucked in because one of the guys in our party knew one of the people working in the store.

After a demo of their sound cubes (or whatever they're called), we went into a couple of faux living rooms set up with 16x9 TVs and Bose sound systems.

These two TVs -- as well as the TV out in the main showroom -- were set up to stretch the picture to fill the screen. People on TV demonstrated grotesquely elongated heads; movies were grainy and pixelly.

I pointed out (twice!) that they had their TVs set up incorrectly, and the sales guy looked at me like I was speaking Swahili.

I realize that their specialty (at least claimed specialty) is SOUND, but it was very disheartening to see every single screen set up to eliminate those "annoying black bars." It was even more disheartening that the staff seemed to have no idea what I was talking about.

2. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

A friend of mine, who is ironically also a Bose fan, has his TV set up like this. Telling him it is not set up right is like talking to a brick wall. Its one thing to not like the "annoying black bars" and buy Fullscreen discs, it is quite another to not notice that the picture isn't even close to correct. When Tom Cruise looks 7 feet call and his head is grotesquely stretched something isn't right...

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Friends don't let friends say the word B*SE. I have a buddy who is convinced his $1500 peice of crap Bose setup is the best thing since sliced bread. Altho I love him and know him since we were 5, he is the kind of guy that had to buy an engagement ring from Tiffany's (wouldnt even look anywhere else for the 15k range he was spending) and his new computer setup HAS to have a a Black flat screen monitor to impress his other friends who know nothing about Tech. Wait till he comes over and hears my HK hometheater that I paid 1/3rd the price for compared to his Bose and my $800 custom built me me computer will smoke his $2000 (without monitor) Dell! Please don't let friends or family by B*SE!

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Reading about individuals' behavior in the above posts no longer surprises me. Instead, I now feel pity for those that are too jaded to admit any wrongdoings whatsoever; despite the fact that they are 100% wrong. It really frustrates me sometimes and I have to deal with stuff like this everyday at work.