What's new

TV set cracking, is this normal? (1 Viewer)

Cagri

Second Unit
I have a several months old Loewe Calida 32" direct view set. After I turn it on, some cracking like sound coming from the set, and especially when I open the windows the teperature in the room drops down and the set cracks once in every 5-10 minutes. I know it is because the set gets hot and the temp difference bw the set and the room causes this, but is it normal even after several hours of watching to hear this annoying sound?

TimG

Second Unit
Don't know if it is normal or not, but our 10 yr old Sony does this, as well as our 3 month old Sony. Sometimes hours after it has been running. It does'nt seem to bother anything.

TimG

PS. On a side note, our new tv weighs 150 lbs. and the first time it did this I thought the stand was cracking. Needless to say I freaked when I first heard it.

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Cagri,

I too have a Loewe Calida and have the occaisional cracking of the set (which until now I assumed was my stand). In my case it's only a single crack or two at a time, and I'd say that it only cracks 3 or 4 times over the course of about 2 hours (with the cracks coming farther apart the longer the TV is on).

Fortunately I am not too distracted by this, as it's quite infrequent. Not sure if your cracks are like mine, or are more often.

Cagri

Second Unit
Doug, mine cracks a bit more often, actually maybe not in every 10 minutes but 3-4 times an hour. Seems like it is normal after reading your posts, so will have live with it:) I smoke a lot and open the 'damn microsoft' a lot, maybe that's why mine does it more often I don't know. Anyway, thanks for replies guys.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I had an Hitachi rptv that would crack when the central heating kicked on, whether it was on or not, and the 35" Sony I had before that did the same thing your Calida's doing.

I now have a Sony widescreen rptv, and for some unknown reason it never makes the cracking noise--must be the all plastic construction vs the wooden Hitachi. It does make a sorta crackly-static electricity sorta noise for a second or so when I turn it on.

Cagri

Second Unit
By the way, Doug, since you have a Calida, have you been able to calibrate the colour and tint and sharpness successfully? Using S&V HT tune up disc, I can't seem to get the colour and tint properly adjusted. The boxes just don't blend in the background. Would you mind posting me your colour and tint and sharpness settings please if you have calibrated your set?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks