What's new

TV Series the DVD vs Hi Def Delimna (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Sure to be a sticking Point from Here on out to the TV ON DVD collector is what to do when buying Shows on DVD that the studios will not invest in a Blu Ray release, even when a Hi Def Master Exists. Most Older TV Shows now are getting Remastered in Hi Def for their DVD release, and possibly eventual TV Airing. CBS is a prime example and Hi Def Versions of some of their shows are starting to find their way out there. Hawaii Five -O is offered in Hi Def on Itunes, and Amazon on Demand and Netflix, but yet only in Standard Definition on DVD. It's Doubtful that CBS would ever release these on Blu Ray as it isn't cost efficient. So Here I am with a complete 12 season set, yet I'd rather watch them streaming in Higher definition. I Recently caught a Universal showing of Charlie's Angels that looked better than I remember then ever looking when Broadcast (except for Universal stupid decision is show them in 16x9 format).
This is definitely affecting my decisions as TV on DVD only goes forward, how about you ?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Outside of Community and Parks And Recreation, I think all the other current TV shows that I buy are available on Blu-ray so it's not that big of a deal for me. And while I wish I could get those two shows on Blu-ray, I still buy the DVD because the likelihood of either ever coming to Blu-ray seems slim.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I'm starting to consider holding off on older shows in hopes of a Blu-ray release. I already own all of THE SOPRANOS, but I'd gladly rebuy if they finish the series. As it stands, I'm not touching any of the three existing releases until I know I can eventually get them all. If they were somehow like "Hey, Steve, don't worry - they'll come out eventually", I'd go buy them today. Even with the stupid big case on "Season 6 - Part 1."
I'd also gladly rebuy the Sorkin years of THE WEST WING on Blu-ray, especially since I think I'm starting to lose a disc from each set to some type of laser rot.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I am in that situation on a few titles as well, however, I do like having the DVDs for two reasons. One - there is no guarantee that the shows will be available online forever. Some things I have watched on amazon and netflix streaming have disappeared because the rights expired; you go back to see it again and it ain't there. Two - if the internet is down for some reason the DVDs are a backup that I can actually hold in my hand without depending on a virtual world out there.
Before the blu-ray sets of Star Trek TOS were released, I used to watch those on CBS.com but it was very unpredicatble. Sometimes only certain episodes were available, sometimes they would insert a short little commercial but the episode would never resume, things like that.
For my purposes, the DVDs are Ok also because I typically watch TV episiodes more casually on a smaller screen and reserve the projector for movies.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Everyone has their own opinion on this issue, but all I can say is that the classic CBS titles I have (Hawaii Five-0, Perry Mason, Rawhide, etc) that have been remastered for Hi Def look fantastic in my upconverting DVD player. I have zero interest in double-dipping just to get them on Blu-ray. Most of my friends feel exactly the same and don't see a large enough improvement in b/w material when going from upconverted remastered for Hi-Def DVDS and Blu-rays. It's just not a big enough eye-popping difference for me to be even the slightest bit tempted to switch to Blu-ray for those older shows, even if they were offered in that format.

Gary "I really think a solid upconverting DVD player makes a big difference, but then again the 'eye test' is seemingly different for every individual so to each his own" O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
MattAlbie60 said:
I'm starting to consider holding off on older shows in hopes of a Blu-ray release. I already own all of THE SOPRANOS, but I'd gladly rebuy if they finish the series.
Based on Deadwood, Rome and the upcoming Entourage Blu-ray series sets, I hold out some hope that they'll do a series set of The Sopranos. Like you, I already have them on DVD and would love to get the HD version but at the same time, I have no intention of buying the Blu-rays until the entire series comes out (be it individually or as a set).

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, I got tired of waiting for the Sopranos complete series on Blu-ray and pulled the trigger on that Best Buy deal for $59 for the entire series a few months ago. BUT... it's still in the wrapper until I actually watch it again in case there is a complete series blu-ray announcement, at which point I'll return it and save my change for that.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I'm rewatching them right now and some of the episodes, especially in season one, look... not so great. So I'd be more than happy to buy them all again. It's arguably their biggest show ever, right? I don't understand how it's not out yet.
Unless their plan of "let's release only the first season and the last season" didn't result in the massive sales they had hoped. :rolleyes:

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
For me, it comes down to whether I already have it on DVD (expense to double dip), how much of a favorite it is, the extent of improvement that can be obtained through a blu-ray upgrade, and how much the improvement would make an impact on my viewing pleasure based on the type of show.
- I double dipped on Star Trek TOS because I didn't like the case design, having season one on HD-DVD flippers, and the resale on the DVD's was high making it easier to manage a double dip.
- I double dipped on Twilight Zone even though I really didn't need to based on the quality of the Difinitive Sets, but I did anyway because it is such a classic and the resale of the DVD's was high, again making it easier to justify.
- I bought Space 1999 on blu-ray because the costs when initially released were close between the two. I've purchased a few other newer shows the same way when the cost differences are just not enough to worry about.
- Star Trek TNG I never owned so it makes it easier to go the blu-ray route since it is expensive either way and the video differences are worth the splurge. Same with DS9 if it comes out.
However, there are many others I wouldn't even consider such as Perry Mason, Gunsmoke, or the Avengers. They are all remastered and would look great in HD but the expense would be just too high for all the seasons when i own perfectly acceptable versions on DVD. I wouldn't even worry about streaming or watching in HD if available because i am too much into just watching from my collection, which is extensive enough to keep me more then happy. These already look great on a projected screen as well.
Fact is, the majority of what i own will likely never even get an HD remastering based on the expense to the studio to do so when considering the return on revenue, or just that the improvements (if any) would be minimal based on the source material available or how the show was originally shot.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'm perfectly content with regular DVD, so I won't purchase the Blu-Ray Version UNLESS something goes wrong with the copy I own. I own almost 200 Movies on VHS, and since they are in working condition I refuse to replace them with DVD or Blu-Ray either, even though they take more shelf space than the disks. If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT! :D

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
As a H5O fan like yourself, I prefer watching them in HD on Netflix on most occasions, although my blu-ray player does a pretty nice job upconverting them to a higher resolution (even if it's not 1080p). Generally, I am very satisfied watching all of the shows I own in upconverted SD, but for my most favorite shows that were shot and edited on film (including H5O), I would happily double-dip to own them on blu-ray if the opportunity presented itself (and in fact have done so with STAR TREK, STAR TREK: TNG, and DEADWOOD). Man, I keep salivating at the prospect of a blu-ray release of TWIN PEAKS, that would be fairly easy for CBS to do if the revenue opportunity warranted it for them. I've also considered purchasing the HD seasons of H5O off i-Tunes and getting an Apple TV device, which is under $100 I believe, in the event they should disappear off Netflix someday.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well thats true and older series still look better than they did in reruns., its disheartening for shows like Warehouse 13 where I watched it in Hi Def and can only buy it in SD

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
For older shows I am generally okay with DVD releases and still add some pre-2000 titles to my collection.
I have no interest in purchasing shows that are only available in standard def DVD versions if they were broadcast in HD. Shows like The Mentalist and Castle would have been automatic purchases if Bd releases had been supported. I have made a few exceptions to that rule in the past, but going forward I can't see myself ever purchasing a standard definition release of a show that was broadcast in HD.
- Walter.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Walter Kittel said:
I have no interest in purchasing shows that are only available in standard def DVD versions if they were broadcast in HD. Shows like The Mentalist and Castle would have been automatic purchases if Bd releases had been supported. I have made a few exceptions to that rule in the past, but going forward I can't see myself ever purchasing a standard definition release of a show that was broadcast in HD.
- Walter.
Hollywoodaholic said:
Once you saw a show originally in HD, you can't go back to SD, or, at least, it's tough (he grits his teeth thinking of Six Feet Under).
This may be true. I guess it is good that i never watched the original broadcast of "24" in HD because I have had no problem enjoying it on DVD in SD ever since I got lucky and purchased the first six seasons at Best Buy during the pricing mixup a few years back.

MarkA

Second Unit
I was debating whether to get "Revenge" on DVD because I watched the show in broadcast in HD. I bought it because I got it at a good price. I just don't understand why they couldn't release this on Blu-ray also. I bought the first 2 seasons of "Big Bang Theory" on DVD and the next 3 on Blu-ray. I want to upgrade those to Blu-ray but I find the price a little high to justify repurchasing.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I just don't understand why they couldn't release this on Blu-ray also.
The other frustrating aspect of this situation is when an earlier season is released in DVD and Bd followed by subsequent seasons only on DVD. I suppose the numbers don't add up for the studio releasing the show, but it still is disappointing. Case in point: NCIS: Los Angeles.
If you've never seen the show then SD DVD might be more acceptable but the knowledge that an HD master exists can still be irksome.
- Walter.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Hoping that the first season of Revenge gets a UK Blu-ray release, but I doubt it (this show looks really good in HD). It's disappointing when a programme you've watched on TV in HD doesn't get both a DVD and Blu-ray release. It was slightly strange how the first season of Hawaii Five-0 wasn't released on Blu-ray in the US (when it was in the UK), but the second season will get a US Blu-ray release.

Am satisfied with the picture/print quality on the transferred to HD releases of Hawaii Five-O and Mannix for example, and at the same time am not interested in streaming and downloads (music is a different topic, although I'm in support of physical media).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gbenito