TV Screen burn in?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gerard Martin, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

May 22, 2000

that displays a large bright (something

like 15 to 20% brighter) circle in the

center of the screen particularly

noticeable on blank screens. Is this

what is called screen burn in and how

do you think this might occur with a

brand new set. An early reply sincerely

appreciated. Thank you.
  2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Feb 12, 1998
    This doesn't sound like screen burn-in. I am moving this to Display Devices (TV/Projectors), where someone may be able to provide a more detailed answer.
  3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    It could be intended to get the viewer to focus on the middle of the screen, so that defects such as bad convergence at the corners are not so obtrusive.
    It could be due to thinner glass at the middle of the screen. This way the rear surface can be more curved to reduce focusing and geometry problems as the electron beam has to shoot further to hit the corners, meanwhile the front of the screen is flatter. (All TV screens nowadays are tinted, for one piece as opposed to bonded screens the thinner the glass the lesser the tint.)
    Also, making the glass thinner where structural strength is not needed as much reduces weight.
    To prolong the life of the TV and forestall screen burn in, keep the contrast under a half (direct view) and under a third (RPTV and FPTV).
    Video hints:
  4. Erik J

Erik J Extra

May 23, 2000
    I've noticed something similar on my new Panny 51" RPTV. When the set is off there's a lighter color circle about a foot in diameter in the middle of the screen. Not sure why it's there, but it doesn't seem to affect the picture. It might have something to do with the glare screen.