What's new

TV S-video display issue (1 Viewer)

Josh_Slade

Auditioning
I have a Phillips Magnavox 32" TV (not sure of exact model number). I started noticing a strange display issue when watching something in S-video. Here's a picture.

The yellow arrows I added, but those strange almost 3d looking bars scroll up the screen and cycle over again every 5 seconds or so.

I have tried connecting directly to the TV with all the different S-video cables I have for my devices and still the same thing happens. So I don't know if this means it's the TV itself. All my S-video cables are inexpensive (under $20) if that makes a difference, since I see some go for some hefty prices.

So has anyone seen this before and know what it is? I don't really know how long this has been happening. It's hard to see most of the time in live action movies but in animation it becomes much more noticable because of the static colors. I'm pretty sure I didn't start noticing this until after I got my surround sound setup so I don't know if possibly there is some kind of interference happening here or something. Any kind of advice would be appreciated, I really don't want to have to buy a whole new TV just for this issue because it works fine otherwise.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Ground loop! had the same thing it was a ground loop being created by my cable box and having a computer hooked up at the same time, unhooked the computer and it went away.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I hate these kinds of problems because the cause is usually something simple yet it takes forever to figure out!
My Philips DVD recorder is having the same problem through its inputs, only the lines are vertical (up and down) and go left-to-right. Philips is sending me a firmware upgrade disc that they say will fix the problem, but I still don't know if it's firmware-related or not. When I got the machine the problem wasn't there, and doesn't seem to do it all the time, but I don't want to do any more recordings on it til it's fixed for good.

Josh_Slade

Auditioning
Ah yes turns out it was the "ground loop" issue. I disconnected my cable box from the TV and it went away. Is there any kind of fix for this so that my cable box/computer don't have to be disconnected and reconnected all the time? Like some sort of RF on/off switch or something?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
unforutnately I have not found one yet I tried using a plug to eliminate the ground pin on the computer but problem persists, one thing I haven't tried is tieing a wire from the box to the computer to cause a common ground, the only other way may be to use cables with the shielding disconnected on one end. Glad I could help ya out on figuring out what it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks