What's new

TV repair (1 Viewer)

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
Hi everyone. I just got back from my weekly trip to the town dump and someone had left a 27" sony trinitron (KV-27s10) for garbage. I took it home with me since I'm looking for a basement 2nd set. When plugged in, nothing. Hit Power, and it comes on. However with nothing connected, there is a blue wavy static on the screen. The lower front faceplate where the buttons are has a nice crack along it but all buttons are intact in the right spot. Hitting any button turns the unit off. I'm guessing it was dropped? Anyway - I've always wanted to tinker and learn how these puppies work. Should I go through the trouble? Is it salvagable? Most important - is there a do-it-yourself web site that gives an intro to the inner workings of these things? Aside from the cracked faceplate, it looks great. Glass is mint. Casing is fine. It prob cost $400 or $500 new and it has composite inputs on the rear, so I'm itching to fix it. Any suggestions, warnings, etc anyone can offer? THANKS!

p.s. sorry if this is in the wrong area on HTF!

Sounds very much like the Sony I discarded a few months back after the movers put too much stuff on top of it and cracked the case and caused numerous internal failures. I had a professional shop take a look at it after getting a check from the movers insurance claim and they told me don't bother. The cost to repair would eb prohibitive. My set was about 15 years old and at the time set me back about $800 but by today's standards a similar set would be less than $500. Therefore the logical thing to do would be to take the money and some of my own and purchase a Toshiba 61" RPTV. :)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Greg, I recommend you take it to a shop you know and trust and let them diagnose it. Ask them to show you what is wrong and explain the circuitry to you (remember, I said a shop you know and trust). That would be much safer than your tinkering inside it. If you don't have TV experience, you could get a very nasty shock in there. If you do go inside, remember the TV technician rule: one hand behind your back at all times when the TV is plugged in.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Okay, okay, it CAN kill you. Ruins an otherwise good day. Reminds me of the time I was adjusting the oscilloscope I built as part of my DeVry electronics tech course and had 600 volts prefer my body as its signal path - a jolting experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks