What's new

TV Recommendations - talk me out of this... (1 Viewer)

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a new TV in our new house. Originally I thought I wanted a 46" DLP, but after looking at the 52" JVC DILA models, I was blown away. My wife also walked into BB and said "I like that one the best" right away without me telling her anything.

The TV will be used in our family room and will primarily be used for SD TV, possibly HD in the future, and some movies. It's more of a casual use TV. The room is 16'X 24' and opens into the kitchen which is another 14' or so.

The biggest concern I have is proximity to the fireplace. Think of the room as one long room, including the kitchen and the family room, with the fireplace on the far wall. The best place to put the TV is in the corner next to the fireplace. It would only be about 4-5 feet from the fireplace (which is wood-burning and will be used occassionally). Should I be concerned? Moving down to a 46" would save some space, but not a ton.

Originaly my wife wanted a plasma. Considering it's a casual use TV, I was considering EDTV in the $2k range. BUT, the JVC can be had, delivered, for around $2200 from buydig.com and it is bigger, has a better picture, and doesn't have screen-door problems (which drive me crazy).

I've looked at comparable DLP and LCD models from Samsung, Sony, etc. and don't like any of the pictures on them.

I'm thinking this is the best TV for me, but I'd like to hear your feedback before I drop $2200. Now, the family room in the basement will have a FP...but that's for another day.

Brian

SethC

Agent
I am also very interested in this. Previously I was looking at the Samsung Rear-Projections, however after seeing the JVC HD-52Z585 in person, I was very impressed.

I have a media cut-out in a new home that is slightly under 50" wide (I need to get an EXACT measurement) and 49" high. I am limited to sets with speakers at the bottom if I want to get anything about a 42".

Are the JVC DILA's the best out right now for rear-projection sets?

Thanks!!

The DILA does have a very nice, bright picture when compared to any other RP out there right now. The 52" is actually 3"-4" less wide than a lot of the smaller (46") RP's that have the speakers on the sides, too.

I only draw backs I've heard from a friend that own's one are:

1. Very bright at night.
2. Pixel-lag during sporting events.

I say go for it! I've not seen them for less than $2800 in a store.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I would jump all over the JVC for that price.......just make sure it has a good return policy and they back their products......sometimes what you save in price you lose in customer sevice after the sale. with that said...I compared a Samsumg 46" DLP with the 52" JVC. Both were fully callibrated....a MUST when comparing models. The JVC in my opinion was much "better" than the Sammy. The Sammy was fantastic but I thought the colors, detail and overall presentation was better on the JVC. I agree that it is BRIGHT! I was shocked at how much brighter it was....even after calibration....that the Sammy. Heck, I say if the place backs their products and they are authorized than give it a shot. Make sure though they can take it back without a HUGE restocking fee. A lot of places nail people with that. Good luck to you.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I haven't looked into the DILA option until recently, but this comment about "BRIGHT" makes me wonder about black level on these displays. Is that coming at substantial expense to black level? What about the grayscale log steps?

I'm not actually looking to buy in the near future. Just keeping myself reasonably up-to-date after staying away for a while. :D Well, I suppose I may end up shopping for one if BB tells me my RPTV can't be repaired, which seems unlikely so far...

_Man_

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

That's a very good question. The black level looked very good on the DILA BUT....it was not as good as CRT black. I think it is about as good as DLP and better than LCD. I think what people (me included) see when we compare the DILA to a DLP (both calibrated) we see that the colors are a bit muted compared to DILA. I think this attributes to the brightness of it. Images just seemed more detailed and colorful on the DILA. I guess it succeeds in what Lcos is supposed to do.....DLP blacks and LCD colors. If I ever get away from front projection.....which I doubt I ever will.....I would get that DILA set waaaaay before any other. Do not go by what you see in BB or CC....it really does it no justice (thats the case with any TV though :) ) They are not calibrated and they jack the picture up sooooo much in those places.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Should you purchase one, be sure to check JVC's website for serial numbers and date of manufacture as there is a recall on a group of these units....fire hazard from faulty wiring IIRC.

Mort

Scott_N

Second Unit
Well I own a 52" D-ILA and couldn't be happier! I watch alot of action movies and sports and I don't notice any pixel lag at all. I just got MVP Baseball 2005 for xbox and it looks amazing in 720p on this TV. Black levels are better than LCD but not quite as good as DLP but colors are more vibrant and accurate to my eyes than dlp or lcd. The only downside to me is how standard def looks which varies from pretty bad on the analog part of my digital cable to ok with the digital side. DVD's look great and HD looks amazing and better than any other TV i've seen. I would backlight this TV though because of the picture brightness but this brightness works great for daytime watching.

Kin

Agent
BrianMe,
Great choice! That is my personal favorite RPTV right now. Love the brightness and the vibrant colors! Make sure you buy from someone who offers a return policy, however. You may think you'll never have to return it, but it is nice to have that peace of mind.

SethC,
The dimensions of the 52" unit are 49.5W x 16.5D x 40.9T. Looks like it will fit in your spot perfectly:)

If you guys have any questions about this model, let me know.

[email protected]
1(888)286-5353 Ext 522

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks