TV recommendations needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Chicago, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Bob Chicago

Bob Chicago Auditioning

My wife gave the green light to take advantage of Best Buy's no interest for 24 months sale and get a new TV. I'm trying to make the most educated decision in a short time so I figured you guys could help. [​IMG] So here's the deal:
    I'm looking to spend around $1,800 or so.
    My viewing distance will be about 6-8 feet in a basement that is 28 X 12.
    I'll be playing lotsa Xbox games on it and am worried about burn-in issues with RPTVs.
    My main signal is regular cable. I'd like a high-def set, but a built in HD tuner isn't necesary at this point.
    I'll also be watching lotsa DVDs on it as well, so I'm leaning towards a 16:9 set as opposed to a 4:3. My wife and I will also be watching quite a bit of regular TV shows on it as well, so I'm concerned about how bad the stretch modes are on 16:9 TVs.
    I'd really like a 16:9 set, but with my short viewing distance and game playing, I don't know how practical a RPTV set would be. I know there are 38 inch 16:9 tubes out there, but they are out of my price range. Would I get more picture with a 36 inch 4:3 set in widescreen than I would a 30 inch 16:9 set?
    Also, I see some 4:3 sets have "enhanced 16:9" modes and "16:9 compression". What is this all about?
    Thanks in advance for you advice and input.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The modes in effect turn the 4:3 monitors into 16:9 monitors by compressing the entire scanning line raster into a 16:9 shape. The resulting black bars above and below the 16:9 window are dead space.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

There are two 30”, 16:9 tubes in your price range: Samsung (several models) and Panasonic (more expensive than Samsung, but below your limit). Careful shopping (and/or another $100–$200) could get you a 34” 16:9 direct view set (Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic), which can be found for just over $2,000—and I’ve noticed some posting claiming sales where these sets are under $2,000.

4. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator