What's new

TV recommendation for XBOX (1 Viewer)

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to buy a new tv. I want one that is HD and no risk of burn in. I would like to know what you guys recommend.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Couple of questions:

a) what's your budget?
b) which room in your home, e.g. living room, bedroom?

PerryD

Supporting Actor
If you want to play House of the Dead 3 or Silent Scope Complete, you'll need to purchase a rear projection CRT set, which with your budget you would be able to get a nice TV in the 57" range. Burn-in shouldn't be an issue with CRT, especially in a light controlled area as your basement.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I was under the impression that rp crt had a big burn in risk. I want a tv that does not have a burn in issue. Does that exist?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Burn in is not an issue with LCD or DLP, which also come in the form of rear projection sets.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
so let me see if i got this right. I should buy a DLP or LCD TV? Since they have no burn in risk.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I saw an XBox on a roughly 27" widescreen LCD TV (non-RP, direct view) at a local Frys and thought it looked phenomenal. Not sure what the model number was but it was a Toshiba make. If I had around that much money, I'd probably buy that. I game on a 47" HDTV RPTV, but I'd trade in the size specifically for the brightness and resolution I saw on that LCD TV.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I have my XBOX on my 46" Sony and i'm afraid of the burn in. Since my wife loves that dance revolution game. I want a dedicated tv for the xbox so I don't have to worry about burn in. Hey Carlo does Frys sell new items or refurbished? ( I ask because there prices are so cheap)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I have a 42in Sony LCD, absolutely love it. No risk of burn in and it looks terrific with the HD pack.

Doug

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Burn in is less of an issue if your TV is calibrated properly. I've read different posts from people who have been playing videogames on calibrated sets for YEARS with no untoward effects.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys for all your help. I going to lean towards the LCD. Is there any brand that I should look at?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Frys generally sells new items, but they definitely sell used (returned) items at a discount as well. But yes, their prices tend to be on the cheaper side.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Omard, since you are in the Chicago area, you should also consider Abt Electronics in Glenview Illinois. They will definitely beat any price that Fry's or Best Buy will offer, and I believe they have free delivery into your house. They have a much larger selection than any other electronics store in the Chicago area. I purchased my high def set there back in 1998, and also a high end camcorder from them before that.

Regarding rear projection CRTs, unless the TV is in 'torch' mode, burn-in should not be an issue. Even so, at 50% contrast, I would recommend not playing more than 3 hours of the same game just to be safe. DLP or LCD eliminates this worry, but they have their own issues as price, resolution, black levels and such.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
PerryD I love ABT they have great stuff there. I bought my Tv and Digital Camera from there.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Fry's...scary place. Commmissioned liars, I mean "salespeople"....

Try Circuit City.

If size isn't the most important issue and PICTURE QUALITY is then get the Sony KD-34XBR960. That's what I have XBOX #2 (NOT XBOX 2, my SECOND XBOX) hooked up to. The picture quality is literally the best you can get, hands down. Over double the pixels of LCD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks