TV - Receiver distance

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by jackNi, Jun 17, 2006.

1. jackNi

jackNi Auditioning

I am having my house built and now the sheetrock is not installed yet. I am planning for my 7.1 home theater setup. My question is the placement of the receiver to the TV. I have heard that when you use HDMI output from the receiver to the TV if the distance is like 6 ft then there is no difference between the $30 cable and $150 cable. 6 ft cable would be ok if I place the receiver under the plasma tv that I am going to hang.
    But I have another option which is aesthetically more pleasing. On the left side I have stairs going up, so that under the stairs I can cut a gap on the sheetrock and install an inwall entertainment system which will not take any space from my living room. But the cost of cables is my concern. I would need 18ft cable instead.
    Do any of you guys/ladies have any technical knowledge concerning the loss in the quality of the picture. If I need to buy the high priced HDMI cable for that long it would cost around $400. Do I need to buy those high priced cables in this case? or would you definitely not install the receiver that far from the TV for other reasons than cost?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jack. Welcome to HTF!

Short answer: go to www.bluejeanscables.com and email the owner. He is a member here and gives our members good advice and great service.

He sells cables that go 30 ft to 50 ft (A 20 ft cable is $43 by the way). And if you are not happy with the cable - he will refund your money.

Some other advice: unlike analog cables, the digital signals are very "insensitive" to the quality/price of the cable. The trick is getting the high-frequency signals to not "cross-talk" over a long run. No way should you spend mega-bucks for this cable if you can avoid it.

3. David-Wright

David-Wright Stunt Coordinator

If you read some about the development of the HDMI standard you will find that it was designed with the idea that you could do long runs without expensive cables. That is by design. So the least expensive way to go would be to find a cable that will reach for a minimum price. If you don't see any probelms, there probably aren't any.