What's new

TV randomly flashes black during disc playback - any theories? (1 Viewer)

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
My TV randomly flashes black during the playback of a disc. I'll be watching a movie, the screen will go black for a few seconds, before going back to the movie. It's very irritating.

It has happened on multiple new discs so I don't think it's the discs.

I've tried a different HDMI cable, as well as a different HDMI port on the back of the TV, but the same random thing happens.

None of my devices are old. I have a Sony UBP-X700 that's less than a year old. My TV is a Vizio V405-G9 that's only 15 months old.

I tried doing a factory reset on the player - the same thing still happened.

If anyone has any theories on what's going on here, I would appreciate it.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Does the audio drop out when the picture goes?

Yes. When the pictures flashes to black, it's just a black screen. No video or audio. It lasts for a few seconds before resuming normal playback.

I should also note I have a Bose Solo 5 soundbar, also only 15 months old.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It sounds to me like it’s an HDMI handshake issue - something is losing the connection and it’s then resyncing. It sounds like you’ve ruled out the cables and the TV. It could be that the HDMI board on your player just went before it’s time.

If you haven’t already, just to rule it out, I’d try a factory reset on all the devices and then check to make sure everything has the latest firmware.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
It sounds to me like it’s an HDMI handshake issue - something is losing the connection and it’s then resyncing. It sounds like you’ve ruled out the cables and the TV. It could be that the HDMI board on your player just went before it’s time.

If you haven’t already, just to rule it out, I’d try a factory reset on all the devices and then check to make sure everything has the latest firmware.

Thanks. I don't know that I've ruled out the TV - I did try multiple HDMI ports on the back of the TV and multiple cables, but how can I know the issue isn't the HDMI connections on the TV's end?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Chances are with the TV that one individual port would go rather than all of them at once. It’s not impossible that they’d all go at the same time but I’m not sure it’s likely.

Do you have another HDMI input device you could plug into the TV? A cable box, a streaming box, a different disc player?

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Chances are with the TV that one individual port would go rather than all of them at once. It’s not impossible that they’d all go at the same time but I’m not sure it’s likely.

Do you have another HDMI input device you could plug into the TV? A cable box, a streaming box, a different disc player?

I have a Fire stick in another HDMI port on the back of the TV. I don’t use that a ton but haven’t noticed issues with it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... which exact HDMI cables are you using? IF you're feeding the TV full 4K HDR video (and hirez audio), you might need to make sure your HDMI cables can actually handle that reliably -- some cheap stuff might not do so reliably (or for long) even for otherwise reasonably short lengths.

Also, how you have things connected could possibly place enough stress or wear-and-tear on the HDMI ports/connectors to prematurely degrade their reliability (whether the ports or the cables' connectors or both).

Although your gear are not exactly old, you've probably had most everything for a fair amount time already, except perhaps some of the HDMI cables you've been trying (and maybe your Sony 4K disc player?). Did you always have this problem w/ that Sony 4K disc player (feeding 4K HDR video) in this setup?

_Man_

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Hmmm... which exact HDMI cables are you using? IF you're feeding the TV full 4K HDR video (and hirez audio), you might need to make sure your HDMI cables can actually handle that reliably -- some cheap stuff might not do so reliably (or for long) even for otherwise reasonably short lengths.

Also, how you have things connected could possibly place enough stress or wear-and-tear on the HDMI ports/connectors to prematurely degrade their reliability (whether the ports or the cables' connectors or both).

Although your gear are not exactly old, you've probably had most everything for a fair amount time already, except perhaps some of the HDMI cables you've been trying (and maybe your Sony 4K disc player?). Did you always have this problem w/ that Sony 4K disc player (feeding 4K HDR video) in this setup?

_Man_

These are my HDMI cables for the player: Amazon product
As far as long as I’ve had things, the player since last June, the TV for 15 months and the cables since last summer.

From what I remember, the player was fine initially. To me, it’s a 50-50 bet if it’s the TV or the player but would really like to know for sure.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW, I had a Panasonic BR player that dropped out the entire time I owned it. Nothing fixed it and it dropped out on every system I ever used it in. Never found a fix and just eventually dumped it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Is your Fire stick also set up to pass 4K HDR10 video (perhaps w/ original content refresh/frame rates? instead of a constant 30 or 60fps) to the TV since it seems fine?

I mention the refresh/frame rate because there's a chance something's potentially amiss/unreliable/malfunctioning w/ that either on the TV or the player.

I have such problems w/ the AppleTV app on my old-ish Roku running 4K HDR10 w/ original content refresh/frame rates (and pretty much only w/ that app)... although I'm not feeding directly into my display, but it's been unreliable or not working at all thru 2 different switching devices (whether an otherwise decent 4K HDMI switcher or my current, expensive Anthem prepro) -- never had such problems before upgrading to 4K HDR10 setup...

_Man_

Last edited:

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Is your Fire stick also set up to pass 4K HDR10 video (perhaps w/ original content refresh/frame rates? instead of a constant 30 or 60fps) to the TV since it seems fine?

I mention the refresh/frame rate because there's a chance something's potentially amiss/unreliable/malfunctioning w/ that either on the TV or the player.

I have such problems w/ the AppleTV app on my old-ish Roku running 4K HDR10 w/ original content refresh/frame rates (and pretty much only w/ that app)... although I'm not feeding directly into my display, but it's been unreliable or not working at all thru 2 different switching devices (whether an otherwise decent 4K HDMI switcher or my current, expensive Anthem prepro) -- never had such problems before upgrading to 4K HDR10 setup...

_Man_

I haven't had issue playing 4K content on the Fire stick.

Since I've already tried different cables and resetting to the factory defaults, would people here recommend replacing the player before the TV?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would try the FireStick in every port that you’ve had an issue with the Blu-ray player just to rule out the TV.

I would next buy a new HDMI cable just to rule that out - you don’t need to spend big bucks on that, it can be gotten for $10ish.

If you try the FireStick in every port and have no problem, if you then use the new cable with the Blu-ray player in every port and still have the problem, then the most likely culprit is the Blu-ray player. Go into the Blu-ray player’s setup menu and see if there’s an option to update the firmware. If you do that and there isn’t an update, or if there is an update and that doesn’t solve the issue, then the Blu-ray player is the most likely culprit.

Bartman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Welcome to the wacky world of HDMI. I've had random episodes of repeated short audio dropouts (video unaffected) with my LG B8 55", Sony Blu-ray player and Roku streaming box. I tried different ports and different cables with no improvement. Turning the TV off then on fixed it (temporarily). Come to think of it, it hasn't happened in quite a while, perhaps the last TV software update fixed it, now posting this has jinxed it for sure, we'll see?

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
My TV randomly flashes black during the playback of a disc. I'll be watching a movie, the screen will go black for a few seconds, before going back to the movie. It's very irritating.

It has happened on multiple new discs so I don't think it's the discs.

I've tried a different HDMI cable, as well as a different HDMI port on the back of the TV, but the same random thing happens.

None of my devices are old. I have a Sony UBP-X700 that's less than a year old. My TV is a Vizio V405-G9 that's only 15 months old.

I tried doing a factory reset on the player - the same thing still happened.

If anyone has any theories on what's going on here, I would appreciate it.
I was running into the same issue with my X700, Sony 4K TV, and LG soundbar setup. I had HDMI from all sources running to the TV, and then ARC from the TV to the soundbar. I tried various things like replacing/reseating the HDMI cables, updating firmware on all devices to the latest available, etc., and nothing seemed to work.

Then I turned off Dolby Vision on the X700 and haven't had a single 4K disc exhibit this problem in months. I don't know why this is happening as many of the discs which exhibit the issue were Dolby Vision discs.

gonzo nixon

Auditioning
Real Name
Lonny
I was having a similar problem with my LG Blu, Sony HTR and Sony TV. I realized upscaling was turned on by default on all three devices. I turned it off on two of them and haven't had any further problems.

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
I was having a similar problem with my LG Blu, Sony HTR and Sony TV. I realized upscaling was turned on by default on all three devices. I turned it off on two of them and haven't had any further problems.
I'll check into this and see if my TV and Blu are both set to upscale. If so, I'll turn one off and re-enable Dolby Vision on the Blu and see what happens.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
How is the Sony X700 connected? I ran into that issue with both generations of the X800 when routing both video and audio on one HDMI cable to my receiver. Since going back to one HDMI directly into the display for video and one HDMI into the receiver for audio, no more momentary black screens when using the X800-M2.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
How is the Sony X700 connected? I ran into that issue with both generations of the X800 when routing both video and audio on one HDMI cable to my receiver. Since going back to one HDMI directly into the display for video and one HDMI into the receiver for audio, no more momentary black screens when using the X800-M2.

HDMI cable from the back of the player into the back of the TV. Soundbar connected via TV's optical audio output.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I wonder if it's just some incompatibility involving Dolby Vision.

I seem to recall there was some such issue at least between LG displays and Sony players a while back when it came to Dolby Vision, but hadn't heard anything about that for Vizio displays.

The Fire stick probably doesn't do Dolby Vision at all, right? OR maybe you haven't streamed anything w/ DV perhaps?

I would try playing some 4K discs w/out Dolby Vision (both discs don't use DV and then also discs that have DV, but w/ the player's DV disabled) to test that out...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markmcca