What's new

TV Purchase Recommendations (1 Viewer)

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
I have a budget of $1800 us dollars. What would you guys recommend?
And where to buy it?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Have you done any research already regarding sets in your price range? Tell us what strikes your fancy and maybe those who have experience with the models you're interested in can help you.

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
I've looked at Panasonic PT-53WX42, PT47WX42. Any comments on these sets?

Any other recommendations? both Direct-view sets and RP?

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
Sony KP46WT500
Toshiba 42HDX
Toshiba 50H82
Hitachi 43uwx
Panny 47 or 53
Mitshibishi 42 inch tv.

those are all rptv's in that price range give or take a little depending on where you purchase it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would second the Panny's if you don't intend to stretch/zoom regular 4x3 TV content. You might also prefer most of the others if you need to use TV zoom for non-anamorphic DVDs.

If you're considering the Panny and do have such concerns, go to a good store and compare the PQ of such content using the various stretch and/or zoom modes w/ the TVs. Make sure to compare at your expected viewing distance.

For non-anamorphic DVDs, you can also get around the PQ concern w/ a good player that does scaling/aspect ratio control. That's preferable anyway, especially if you watch foreign films and need subtitles for such DVDs.

When comparing the TVs for apparent PQ, try to compare same size TVs, eg. not Sony 46" to Panny 47", not 53". $$$ savings can always go toward upgrading something else (or getting ISF calibration).

Also, the Panny does not have DVI/HDCP input, if that's a concern, although for the price of the 47" (as low as $1200 in some places), is that really a concern? Of the ones mentioned so far, only the Sony 46", Tosh 42HDX82 and Hitachi 43" come w/ DVI/HDCP input.

FWIW, I have the Panny 53".

_Man_

BrianDB

Agent
Got a Costco close? Toshiba 36HF12 for $1499.00. It is a 36" direct view. Very good deal. Also leaves you $300 to go towards an HDTV tuner of your choice.

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
seen some outstanding buys with open boxes at CC. today saw a 57inch wx series hitachi for $2100 (some minor scratches to cabinet as they could not deliver to customer home), a 61 inch rca scenium for 2200, a 65inch sony for 2200, a 65inch pt series panny for 1900.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks