TV Problems, help...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Huber, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Ok, this is a ProScan 27 inch TV, S-Video with PS2 for a DVD player, that was purchased about 6 years ago. I have noticed something while watching TV here recently. All of the dark colors, shadows and dark scenes in movies have no deffinition or detail. They seem to be just a dark section that the TV can't get right anymore. It's nothing major because others haven't commented on it yet. I can see it though...

Has anyone ever had this hapen to them? Is it a problem or am I just not seeing how movies are supposed to look?

My buddies 25 inch Sanyo looks like it's a tad more sharp with a little more vibrant colors.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Have you calibrated?

3. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

How do I do that? I am new to TV tuning? Not sure what to do...

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Try increasing the brightness. Also, can you darken the room a little?

If you don't have a test DVD such as Video Essentials or AVIA, you can still experiment with brightness and contrast to see if you can make things look better. I still suggest that you try to keep contrast under 2/3 for a TV that old (under 1/2 for a new direct view tube TV).

The test disks I named have a "gray scale" test where you can adjust the TV so all steps in the scale from black to white are distinguishable.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm