TV problem help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Giob, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Giob

Giob Extra

I got this pre-owned Sony 32" Trinitron. It's been working fine for a year except that last week i noticed that the picture has somehow dropped, ie 25% of the top screen is blank and I can't see the bottom 25%, like subtitles, etc. and also the picture is not a perfect rectangle anymore but a trapezoid (ie the upper border is shorter than the lower border.)

I suspected that it had something to do with placing the center speaker directly on top of the TV because it I noticed it happening after i bought a center speaker and placed it on top of my TV.

However, when I took out the speaker, the problem is still there.

How can I fix this?

2. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Hmmm. Tvs don't have an obvious degauss button. I once heard of a story about a guy who would put the tv in his car and drive it around the beltway a few times to degauss it. I'm not kidding. I have no idea if or why it worked. Could be a big joke. Could be it worked.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I think it is not the speaker's fault but rather some component inside has aged or wore out. Time for a serviceman.

Magnetism problems are not that profound. Normal viewing for a week should degauss the set. Typically the degausser needs several tries and does not come on every time the set is turned on but the degausser should come on with the set if the set has been off for about an hour.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

What is the model number?

I have a 32kvxbr100 and the yoke had come loose and so the picture had shifted around on the tube. We were able to get the picture aligned by moving the yoke around.

I was actually horrified to look at the circuit board layout of this tv. There are boards and connetors that hook up on all 3 axes. ie 2 boards connect via a "T" to the bottom boards. A board Ts onto the top of those 2 and then a board connects to bottom, middle and top in the third dimension...

Tim