TV problem? blown fuse? fixable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

We were watching a DVD when all of a sudden we heard a pop and the TV went blank. It will not turn on and it had a burning smell. Was it a blown fuse? Something else? Is it fixable? For what it is worth, the TV is a 32 inch JVC about 4.5 years old.

thanks
    Allan

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A burning smell? Sounds like your power supply just bit the dust. And the burning smell spells trouble.

But four years is not especially old. Did you overdrive the set? (That is, were the picture settings at their maximum levels?)

3. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Probably would be better just to get a New set,cost of repairing it, might equal the cost of a new one ? I wouldn't just replace a fuse( if it is blown?) without knowing what caused it to blow in the first place.
    [​IMG]

4. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Definately not overdriven -- I had lowered all of the settings (via Avia). What else could have caused the burning smell/destruction of the TV? Do i need to worry about the same thing happening to a new one?

thanks
    allan

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Assuming the line to your house is stable, no.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you are comfortable with fixing electronics, it might be a nice little project. Let me add that I don't advocate opening a TV if it is under warranty and if you are not absolutely knowlegable about the voltage present on the tube with the power off and TV disconnected. If it were my TV though, I would go for it.