TV Picture Size Side-by-Side Compare?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adrian_S, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

Hi All,

Is there any site or pdf file that has a side by side companions of different size TV screens? For example, like:

19'->21'
    25'->32'
    36'->42'
    50'->57'
    65'->70'

etc...? I need this info, but I need a visual representation to explain it to the little woman.

Thanks,

Adrian

2. Rich Chiavaroli

Rich Chiavaroli Stunt Coordinator

What exactly do you need? Are you talking about comparing 16:9 to 4:3? I'm not sure what else you could be referring to.

3. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

No, I know where to find this 4:3 vs 16:9... Let's say for widescreen example what does a 42' WS plasma to 50', or a 65'.
    I had an ad in one my Home Theater Mag's, but I can't find it now.
    Here is why, the wife originally agreed to a 42' 16:9 RPTV, but I want a 65', so I'm trying to show her the difference side by side. I don't want to shock her when I get her to the store and she see the monster (if I can find it).
    Plus, I want to have some options in the 50', 57' inch range in case it all fails and I fall flat on my face.
    Geez, she thinks the 4:3 36' Toshiba is big... wait until she see's a 65' Mitsu... [​IMG]
    - Adrian

4. Harley

Harley Stunt Coordinator

5. Rich Chiavaroli

Uhm.. well the only way to show her the difference is to, well, show her the difference. 43" is 43" and 65" is 65". I'd suggest taking a blanket or a bed sheet and fold it to the size of the screen.

A 43" 16:9 screen is about 37.5" x 21"
    A 65" 16:9 screen is about 56.5" x 32"

You'll also get to see what that screen size looks like in your house. When you go to the store, they're going to seem a lot smaller than they really are.

6. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

Rich, that's an idea. I was going to try newspapers taped together, but a sheet will do and look uniform. I just hope I don't over do it... since I got to make it somehow fit where the 36' is now (see my link in sig). The center that's holding everything can be removed since it's one piece. The bridge piece on top does not stretch, so I'm going to have to get creative and figure something out.

I was going to buy a new wall unit, but my wife said it was out of the questions..... Oh well.

Thanks for the suggestion Rich - Harley for the link!

- Adrian

7. Rich Chiavaroli

Adrian_S -

A couple other ideas. Number 1, a 43" WS set will actually not be as tall as your 36". So the 4:3 picture will actually be smaller. She might not like that. A good selling point (for my wife anyway) was telling her that I was going to unclutter the area around the TV in doing this. If you can work out a way to make that area look simpler, she might like that idea.

8. Harley

Harley Stunt Coordinator

43 inch WS
    Your viewing area is 28.1 in(w) x 21.1 in(h)

36 inch 4:3
    Your viewing area is 28.8 in(w) x 21.6 in(h)

Unnoticeable, unless side by side, even then hard to see difference.

So you get the best of both with WAF...Size does matter...

Harley

9. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

The shallow depth of Toshiba sets sold my wife. Other RPTVs stuck out another 6" or so into the room, and the 42H81 Tosh was the only one to pass her scrutiny. Luckily, it was the set I had my own eye on for picture quality, so all worked out nicely.

Jan

10. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

OK guys, here is what I'm down to so far, and I have narrowed my choices down to these two models, since I'm upgrading from the 36' to about 50' something WS.
    Sony 51
    Toshiba 50
    The wife agreed that's these sizes are not to big to over power the living room (room is 20x17).
    I watch mostly DVD's and TechTV on Cox Digital Cable and I game for about an hour or two every other day, so I should be OK.
    Now to choose between the two - what do you guy's think? Am I going to see a difference in the size in 4:3 mode, or about the same?
    What about stretch modes for 4:3, because I know my kids are going to do the MTV and VH1 channel.... dilemma, dilemma....
    Thanks,
    Adrian