TV picture is not centered. Easy or hard fix?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Cramlet, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Andrew_Cramlet

Hey guys. I've been living with this problem for a couple months, and I'm finally doing some research on how to fix it. Before I go into detail, I'd just like to add that I can't return the TV (warranty expired), there is no "on screen" interface to shift the picture, and the closest Philips service station is over 2 hours away.

OK...I have a Philips 27" CRT with a major horizontal offset. I am guessing about 10mm, as some of my video games have an option to shift the picture, and often times, the x-axis shift is 10 (no units).

Does anyone know where I could find literature online on how to fix it myself? I live in Columbus, Ohio. Do you think there is a local shop that could fix this problem? What type of cost would you guess I'm looking at?

Thanks.

2. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Personally, I wouldn't pay someone to do that. It can be easily adjusted in the service menu. The parameters are very recognizable, it's going to be stuff like HPOZ, VPOZ, HSIZ, VSIZ.
    http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefulinfo.html
    Find out how to get into the service menu there. Make sure that you write down all the original values, and don't change anything you don't know. You could ruin your set by adjusting the wrong thing. Personally, I wouldn't fix it, since games usually have barely any overscan. Plus, games for each system are centered differently, and sometimes different games need different adjustments.

3. Andrew_Cramlet

Maybe you're right, but it bugs me. I can't watch anything (TV, DVD, etc) without noticing everything that's being cropped off. It'd be more of a relief to get it corrected than anything.

It just bothers me, so I'd like to get it fixed.

4. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Andrew,

James wasn't saying that you shouldn't get it fixed, he was just pointing out that there is plenty of information out there for you to do it yourself (this would save you time and money). It really is a simple fix and if you follow the link he provided, you should find enought information to get your problem cleared up.

5. Andrew_Cramlet

Well, to be totally honest, I have no idea how to digest the information from that website. I don't suppose there is any generous soul out there would would care to walk me through it?