What's new

TV periodically showing wrong color tint on DVDs (1 Viewer)

Levi

Agent
Hi! I'm new to the forum and to HT in general. I just bought my first nice television, a floor model Samsung Widescreen HDTV 30inch. My problem is, when I watch DVDs on it, whenever the scene changes, the color tint turns green for a moment before it normalizes. I'm hoping the problem is with my DVD player or the cables, since I don't have this problem when I view satellite programming.

I haven't upgraded my cheap DVD player yet, and I'm using an S-Video connection. Do you think this problem will go away if I get a progressive scan player and connect it using component cables? Or is something else to blame?

Any help would be much appreciated.

--LEVI

Levi

Agent
Hi! I'm new to the forum and to HT in general. I just bought my first nice television, a floor model Samsung Widescreen HDTV 30inch. My problem is, when I watch DVDs on it, whenever the scene changes, the color tint turns green for a moment before it normalizes. I'm hoping the problem is with my DVD player or the cables, since I don't have this problem when I view satellite programming.

I haven't upgraded my cheap DVD player yet, and I'm using an S-Video connection. Do you think this problem will go away if I get a progressive scan player and connect it using component cables? Or is something else to blame?

Any help would be much appreciated.

--LEVI

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, use component-video cables. Sounds like the grayscale on the Sammy is off. A service calibration is in order. HTF calibrationist Michael TLV once said here that the grayscale on those direct-view Samsungs is "all over the place."

Also, have the contrast and brightness been reined in? Since you took the risk of purchasing a floor model (a dicey thing to do when getting a display), I assume you took it out of torch mode. If not, adjust the white and black levels immediately; your investment is at stake.

Oh, and welcome to Home Theater Forum.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, use component-video cables. Sounds like the grayscale on the Sammy is off. A service calibration is in order. HTF calibrationist Michael TLV once said here that the grayscale on those direct-view Samsungs is "all over the place."

Also, have the contrast and brightness been reined in? Since you took the risk of purchasing a floor model (a dicey thing to do when getting a display), I assume you took it out of torch mode. If not, adjust the white and black levels immediately; your investment is at stake.

Oh, and welcome to Home Theater Forum.

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator

Since he said the problem doesn't show up with satellite input, just with his DVD player, how can this be a grayscale problem? I would want to rule out a bad connection or bad cable first.

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator

Since he said the problem doesn't show up with satellite input, just with his DVD player, how can this be a grayscale problem? I would want to rule out a bad connection or bad cable first.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Could be grayscale problem in the lows, as mentioned, but that it's green also points to green phosphor decay. What exactly does your set do? It is just a shadow of all the bright parts that remains green a little bit after when the sceen goes dark? this is phosphor decay. Or it could be something else...

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Could be grayscale problem in the lows, as mentioned, but that it's green also points to green phosphor decay. What exactly does your set do? It is just a shadow of all the bright parts that remains green a little bit after when the sceen goes dark? this is phosphor decay. Or it could be something else...

Levi

Agent
I tried a new S-Video cable, and the problem persists. I'm not sure how to describe what happens.. whenever the movie I'm viewing "cuts" to a new scene, or even between two actors talking to each other, the entire picture takes a greenish hue for about three seconds and then the greenish hue disappears and the picture appears normal. It doesn't appear when the screen is dark, only when there is an image on the screen, and it's not a shadow, it's the entire scene. It's like I put on a pair of green tinted glasses to view the movie with.

--LEVI

Levi

Agent
I tried a new S-Video cable, and the problem persists. I'm not sure how to describe what happens.. whenever the movie I'm viewing "cuts" to a new scene, or even between two actors talking to each other, the entire picture takes a greenish hue for about three seconds and then the greenish hue disappears and the picture appears normal. It doesn't appear when the screen is dark, only when there is an image on the screen, and it's not a shadow, it's the entire scene. It's like I put on a pair of green tinted glasses to view the movie with.

--LEVI

Levi

Agent
I was viewing the DVD in the Samsung's "Movie" mode, which has contrast at 35, Brightness at 75, Sharpness at 25, Color at 57 and R 56 G 44. I never use "Dynamic" mode, which has contrast set at 100.

--LEVI

Levi

Agent
I was viewing the DVD in the Samsung's "Movie" mode, which has contrast at 35, Brightness at 75, Sharpness at 25, Color at 57 and R 56 G 44. I never use "Dynamic" mode, which has contrast set at 100.

--LEVI

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Ok, still a little fuzzy, when you say "the entire scene" do you mean the entire screen goes green evenly? Or is it the remainder of the scene that you just saw that sort of "fades out" in green.

What I'm getting at is this:

If this is a direct-view CRT, which you do not say, but given the size, I can assume that maybe that's what you have, you may be seeing green phosphor decay, as I mentioned before. Basically, the green phosphor may have a slow decay time (it helps minimize flicker, but at the cost of the problem you may be seeing), and the phosphors will continue to emit light well after they are "excited" by the electron beam. Green is the slowest, and if your set's tube has a particularly slow phosphor, if the screen goes completely black very quickly, you will see a fading "ghost" of the previous image in green fade away. You can see this also as green trails behind very bright moving objects in dark scenes. If this sounds like what you are seeing, then this is inherent to your display, and isn't really "fixable."

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Ok, still a little fuzzy, when you say "the entire scene" do you mean the entire screen goes green evenly? Or is it the remainder of the scene that you just saw that sort of "fades out" in green.

What I'm getting at is this:

If this is a direct-view CRT, which you do not say, but given the size, I can assume that maybe that's what you have, you may be seeing green phosphor decay, as I mentioned before. Basically, the green phosphor may have a slow decay time (it helps minimize flicker, but at the cost of the problem you may be seeing), and the phosphors will continue to emit light well after they are "excited" by the electron beam. Green is the slowest, and if your set's tube has a particularly slow phosphor, if the screen goes completely black very quickly, you will see a fading "ghost" of the previous image in green fade away. You can see this also as green trails behind very bright moving objects in dark scenes. If this sounds like what you are seeing, then this is inherent to your display, and isn't really "fixable."

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Can you run a test using two different sources feeding the same input jack on the TV? For example (one at a time) try both the VCR and the DVD player using Composite.

This way, if the green shift occurs only with the DVD player you can reasonably blame the DVD player.

Also does the problem happen with all disks? It is possible that this is a Macrovision problem, the green circuits in the TV may be unusually sensitive which may or may not be correctable. I think that AVIA and Video Essentials don't have Macrovision.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Can you run a test using two different sources feeding the same input jack on the TV? For example (one at a time) try both the VCR and the DVD player using Composite.

This way, if the green shift occurs only with the DVD player you can reasonably blame the DVD player.

Also does the problem happen with all disks? It is possible that this is a Macrovision problem, the green circuits in the TV may be unusually sensitive which may or may not be correctable. I think that AVIA and Video Essentials don't have Macrovision.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Levi

Agent

No, thankfully this is not the case. The green tint was not noticeable when the screen is entirely black. It only appeared when there was color on the screen. For instance, in Bad Santa, Billy Bob Thornton and all of his surroundings were bathed in unnatural green light for a few moments after a quick cut.

Where I am at right now is I just bought a new progressive scan DVD player and Monster brand component cables in the hopes that this will eliminate the problem. The only thing I've had time to do with it is go through THX optimizer on my Star Wars Episode II disc. I was not able to notice any green tinting, and when I did the same exercise with the older DVD player, it was very noticeable. I'll be watching a few movies over the next few days, and if I don't see any abnormalities, I can reasonably assume the problem is fixed.

Thanks for all your help!

--LEVI

Levi

Agent

No, thankfully this is not the case. The green tint was not noticeable when the screen is entirely black. It only appeared when there was color on the screen. For instance, in Bad Santa, Billy Bob Thornton and all of his surroundings were bathed in unnatural green light for a few moments after a quick cut.

Where I am at right now is I just bought a new progressive scan DVD player and Monster brand component cables in the hopes that this will eliminate the problem. The only thing I've had time to do with it is go through THX optimizer on my Star Wars Episode II disc. I was not able to notice any green tinting, and when I did the same exercise with the older DVD player, it was very noticeable. I'll be watching a few movies over the next few days, and if I don't see any abnormalities, I can reasonably assume the problem is fixed.

Thanks for all your help!

--LEVI

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks