What's new

TV over the fireplace too high? I engineered a workaround! (1 Viewer)

steveKlein

Agent
I'm not exactly sure where this thread belongs if anywhere as this isn't really a dedicated home theater room problem; More of a "My house was built in the 2000s and the builders left a place above the fireplace for a TV to go, but it hurts my neck to look up at it" I was told by others that this would annoy me and I almost just picked a house with a different living room layout because of it. But to be honest, I didn't think it would be too annoying for me. I figured in time I would get used to it. Once I moved in, I put the TV in the niche and, it bothered me. It just felt too high. And to boot, there was nowhere to really put any of my equipment. I nearly cried myself to sleep the first night in my home because I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life. Here is what the niche looked like the day I moved in: But a little hard work and engineering yielded me a result that I am very pleased with. I built 2 brackets out of steel. One consists of 2 pieces sticking out from the top of the mantle/bottom of the TV niche connected by a crossmember. The other connects to the 8” tall piece of wood between the tile of the fireplace and the top of the mantle. Once I got the steel plate built and mounted, I added a $70 tilting wall mount which I got off of Amazon.com and hung the TV. The stability is phenomenal. This setup could easily hold a much heavier TV. After running speaker wire through the walls and Ethernet cable from here back to my desk for a wired internet connection in the living room, the setup was complete. Aside from the cable box, center channel speaker, and receiver which are visible, I also have a Slingbox and HTPC behind the TV. I also left an HDMI cable down there so I can easily hook up my Xbox 360 (or PS3) which permanently reside in another room in my house (yes, I have a mancave in addition to this  ) The seating area: If anyone has any questions about the specifics of how I built the mount, I will be more than happy to give you more details. It took a total of about 9 hours of labor to take the measurements, cut the pieces of steel, drill the holes, attach it to the fireplace, and mount the TV. About 2 additional hours to put in the 4 brackets that give the stands for my equipment support. These were also custom cut by yours truly. The next step? Add a quality subwoofer to match with my beautiful Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 speakers (HTM-200s in the rear). After that? A 55” LED sure would be a nice upgrade over my 2007 model 40” LCD  Thoughts? Suggestions? An enthused first time homeowner, Steve

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator
Amish Country - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Real Name
Troy Frey
One question: Are you planning to use the fireplace at all? I would be worried the plastic cabinet on the TV would melt from the heat (especially from radiant heat) generated by the fireplace - even with that standoff bracket you built, it will be extremely hot behind the TV at that location - the electronics could also fail from too much heat as well... I would definitely be watchful if you ever light the fireplace. Of course, If the fireplace is only decorative, then you have nothing to worry about!

steveKlein

Agent
I live in central Alabama so the fireplace will probably only get turned on 5 or 6 times a year. If I need the fireplace on for more than a few hours, I could simply take the TV down for a night.

I did consider it, but figured it would probably be okay.

As for the electronics, I think they will be far enough away and tucked away enough to not be too worried about them. Again, though, it's just one of those judgment calls I'll make... if it's getting too hot, I'll turn them off and/or move them if need be.

Roy Brooks

Agent
Looks like a nice setup. Did you think at all about a setup that would have the tv mounted above the fireplace in the niche and then swing down your viewing position when powered up?

kkota

Auditioning
Real Name
Kota
I have same exact hole on top of my fireplace. I wish I thought about it when I bought new house 6 years ago with it. What is your thoughts about a 65" TV blocking the whole hole in the wall and keeping other devices behind the TV ? I was thinking of fully blocking the hole by putting some wooden pieces simulating studs in the hole and hanging TV and mount on them. I was thinking it may be too high, but then again 65" TV may not look that bad even if its too high. I saw your setup, it looks slightly better, but not fully satisfied, eye pleasing. Thinking aloud here, pls share your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks