1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TV out or VGA to TV converter

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Walter Scott, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Walter Scott

Walter Scott Agent

I am designing my home theater PC and I want opinions which is the best way to get video from the computer into a standard definition NTSC TV: Buy a video card with S-video TV out, or buy an external VGA to S-vide (or component video) converter?

2. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I just built recently a HTPC for my LCD projector. The video card I have has a s-video out, so I plugged it into the TV. The picture is good when I run films. My desktop on the TV is another story. It has nothing to do with the card but the TV.
    I would future proof myself by getting the best video card I could afford because that can make all the differance in playing videos on a PC.
    My old PIII had a onboard graphics chip and when I started using it for video...well it wasn't pretty when I started overloading it.
    Common cards for video using a HTPC are the Radeon 9600 pro which are very affordable.

3. Walter Scott

Walter Scott Agent

ok, good info. thank you!