Tv or Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Butny, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Mike Butny

Mike Butny Stunt Coordinator

Here is my dilemma, Should I buy a new Toshiba 34inch hidefinition widescreen television to replace my 32inch ( not hidef) television I'm currently using or upgrade my B&W cdm 1nt front speakers to N805's? I only have enough money to do one or the other. I have the htlm2 center channel so if I get the N805's my front three speakers will match. Please help me out with your input.

2. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

How can anyone help you with this decision? You need to determine what is more important to you. Do you need a high def monitor? If so, get the Toshiba. If not, get the B&W.

3. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

That is a hard choice, it all depends on how much movies or high def you are going to be watching. You have pretty good speakers already but if you are not satisfied with the sound coming out of your front stage, then maybe you should go with the speakers. Where I live we get a lot of high def so I would choose the TV over the speakers. Good luck with your tuff choice.

4. MikeDep

MikeDep Auditioning

Speakers...Speakers...Speakers...lol...I would choose speakers over a TV any day, I dont even have a High Def TV...are they that much better ?

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

6. MikeDep

MikeDep Auditioning

well I mean I do watch alot of DVD's, but i dont really notice the difference...oh well..maybe I will buy one to lol

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

How much music do you listen to? Personally, on HDTV I'd wait another year for prices to keep dropping, improvements being made, and more high def programming. Besides unless you are space confined you are most likely going to want a larger display than 34".

8. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I had to make a simliar decison. I looked at it this way. When I watch TV video from the TV sound from speakers, Movies Video from TV sound from speakers, and listen to music TV sits there and does nothing sound comes from speakers.

If you listen to music at all 3 out of 3 things you do with your system use the speakers only 2 of 3 use TV. I am listening to something from my speakers almost every hour I am home music, movies x box. I am only looking at the TV part of the time.

Just my 2 cents

9. Mike Butny

Mike Butny Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your reply's

10. Paul Bryan

Paul Bryan Agent

My thought was (and is) HD is getting cheaper every year (or at least has high potential to), Speaker technology is much more stable, and therefore so are the prices... Buy the speakers now, buy the HD next year when it's better and cheaper...

--Paul

11. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I guess it all depends on usage. Buy whatever you use the most of. Mind you, since almost no cable markets carry HDTV signals, the only way you can utilize your HDTV is through your dvd player, so the time spend using a new HDTV is only the amount that you watch DVD's. But prices for HDTVs are pretty cheap now. You can get a 32" HDTV-reaady set for under $1100, and good RPTVs go for anywhere between $1500-3000, depending on size and feature set. I remember when $400 for a 25" was a good deal.