What's new

TV or other subwoofer gurus!!! Please tell me if this is wrong to do! (1 Viewer)

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Martin Logan Descent subwoofer. I initially had the setting on 2.5 for the built-in amp (volume). I was not feeling the in the chest type bass that I wanted so.........

I decided to try something that I am hoping you guys say was the good thing to do.

I turned my subwoofer output on my RECEIVER down more than halfway to about -12 db (the range is from -20db to 0db). I then turned up the subwoofer built-in amp to about 7 (out of 10) and the bass got deeper and the sound effects had more punch etc for movie tracks. I can feel it allot more than before.

Is this method incorrect?

Thanks guys.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I believe this is what TV recommends, but I'm sure you'll get opinions from people more experienced than me.

Rand

Supporting Actor
As long as your getting the results you want then how can it be incorrect? Go with it.

JoelO

Stunt Coordinator
That should be OK. Many recommend to run the amp for the Sub HOT and adjust the sub level from the receiver.

But regarding you feel the bass more now w/ the new setup, I think it's not because of the new setup, it's just you're playing the sub louder. Did you check that the sub is outputting the same dB in both configuration?

Joel

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Often the filter on the sub used to reduce the amopunt of level sent to the sub amplifier is less than ideal, and by turning this up, you allow signal to flow unaltered from the receiver to the sub.

Usually attenuation of the signal happening in the receiver is much cleaner than the passive filter in the sub, and thus you get better bass.

This has been my recommendation for going on 5 years.

-V

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
From the measurements I've seen, the sub-out from receivers is also prone to distortion at fairly low settings. By running this output as low as possible, and opening up the volume on the sub (not really more gain, just less attenuation of the input), you avoid a potential source of distortion.

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Curtis,

Just curious.....how are you liking that Descent Sub? What subs have you owned in the past and how would you compare them to the Descent? What other speakers are you running with the Descent?

I am just trying to get an idea because I own all ML speakers and am considering the Descent. Thanks for any info!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks